Building a Learning Game

Càil sam bith eile / Anything else
Wilsons-of-Oxford
Language Level: Foghlamaiche [Beginner]

Building a Learning Game

Unread post by Wilsons-of-Oxford »

Not sure where to ask this or who to ask if I need permission so please forgive me if it isn't appropriate. :curam:

I've been thinking lately of tools to help me and other learners put gaelic into everyday use. I wanted something that would teach me words with practical value that I could use on a reliably regular basis even if I had no one else to talk to.

The idea I had was to do a "simulation" of a grocery store or market, with progressive difficulty, that would allow users to quickly learn and memorize the names of common food and dry-good items. The "simulator" would have you looking at a produce cart, for example; the first level you would have a list, with pictures of each item. The item would be read to you (i.e. Feumaidh sinn dha buntàta) and you'd have to select it from the baskets. The next round your random list would lack pictures for hints. The third time the list goes away and you have to simply listen.

I think the method is sound and its got potential to cover a lot of vocabulary in an easy to grasp manner. To give added value the user would also be able to generate their own shopping lists and print them or save them to a phone.

Way back when I could do this by myself, I probably still can but it'd take me dogs years and would get very little support later. What I'd like to do is see if there is find people interested in helping and put together a team to produce these tools. I'd need web and mobile developers and a graphic artist with style consistency and preferably vector skills, also someone with curriculum experience and a good knowledge of gaelic grocery terms would be a great help.. I don't know if this will get any money, that isn't the point to me, I want to advance the language. However if we were to produce a mobile version whatever profits would be split equally.

I think it's a good idea and such a team could probably produce many more games and tools, I don't want to see it die on the vine but like I said I can't do 100% of this by myself so I thought I'd ask.

If anyone is interested you can email me if you'd like wilsonsofoxford[aig]gmail.com

GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Re: Building a Learning Game

Unread post by GunChleoc »

I am interested, but I just don't have the time at the moment. :(

Have you tried BBC's Colin & Cumberland, they have games like that.

You could also search the web to see if there are any such games in other languages that can be translated. This would save us all the programming and designing work.
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
Wilsons-of-Oxford
Language Level: Foghlamaiche [Beginner]

Unread post by Wilsons-of-Oxford »

I'm running into the same problem with time, GunChleoc.

I've played Colin & Cumberland, neat concept but it doesn't look like anyone has kept up with them and parts don't seem to work anymore.

The tr*nsl*t**n is a good idea though, I'll have to look.

Otherwise I just need to start putting pieces together as I go I guess.

Tioraidh!
Seonaidh
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Seonaidh »

There are very useful side-effects to such an endeavour - viz. you will learn lots of Gaelic doing it (without ever playing the game).