Wiktionary

Goireasan ionnsachaidh, ceanglaichean feumail is mar sin / Gaelic learning resources, useful links etc.
alsaf
Language Level: Beginner

Wiktionary

Unread post by alsaf »

Not sure if anybody is aware of this site but here is a link for it:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Main_Page

Thrissel
Language Level: eadar-mheadhanach

Re: Wiktionary

Unread post by Thrissel »

Generally I would say it's neither better nor worse than Wikipedia. As regards Scottish Gaelic in particular...

Fìrinn innse, I would only recommend it to those without a printed dictionary after they failed to find what they're looking for in Am Facair Beag and Stòr-dàta SMO, unless you're after etymology. Embryomystic seems to have done some good work in that department.

For one thing, there is very little which wasn't transferred there from another online dictionary, Mark, Wentworth or Watson. (Sporadically from the Cothrom quarterly.)

More importantly, AFAICT there was never anybody even approaching fluency involved, and the few enthusiasts all have their weak points: Deilbh, for example, apparently doesn't realize that words recorded by Dwelly may no longer be in use, and I'm afraid that too many of "my" compound-noun genitives are incorrect.

In other words, I believe that Scottish Gaelic is treated there better than most languages, even though I say it who shouldn't, but if you're past the beginner level, please - it's the last resort.
alsaf
Language Level: Beginner

Re: Wiktionary

Unread post by alsaf »

Wiktionary is convenient when in this forum and encountering words in Gàidhlig. However, I'll keep in mind what you mentioned when using this is the future as I have noticed conflicting information when using online resources which is which I now only use material from taic and akerbeltz.