Short courses (immersion?)

Deasbaid air cùrsaichean chànain amsaa. / Anything about language courses etc.
sr3nitygirl

Short courses (immersion?)

Unread post by sr3nitygirl »

So, for the first time in a LONG while, it's looking like I'll be able to make a trip home to Scotland (from the U.S.) this year, and it got me thinking about the possibility of attending a short/immersion course while I'm there. It's something I'd really love to do, basically just be able to sink myself into learning and using the langauge for a short period of time (a weekend or week) to gain more confidence in using it.

My timeframe will be the Spring (March or April of 2012) and SMO's short Easter course caught my eye, but I was wondering if anyone might be able to suggest or point me at other resources for that time of year? Location isn't an issue within mainland Scotland or the Western Isles.

I know this might be a bit of a shot in the dark, but I thought I'd ask anyway :)

Mìle Taing.
Steaphanaidh.

akerbeltz
Rianaire
Language Level: Barail am broinn baraille
Corrections: Please don't analyse my Gaelic

Re: Short courses (immersion?)

Unread post by akerbeltz »

I know someone who'll bite my head off for asking this :priob: but that depends on how you learn best I guess. For some, an intense linguistic course is heaven on earth, for others hell. Some prefer less academic approaches, down to the no-grammar type Ùlpan and TIP stuff. Dunno where you are on that spectrum.
AlasdairBochd
Language Level: Fear-ionnsachaidh fad beatha

Unread post by AlasdairBochd »

I did levels 7 & 8 at SMO during Easter last year. With the short courses, a lot depends on the teachers, who are usually visiting just to take these courses. I've been lucky and had excellent teachers from levels 5 thru 8 and got a lot out of it. There's conversation groups and such going on in the evening as well which can often be better than the classes. The classes are sometimes inclined to be a little academic, it depends on the teacher, and this doesn't suit everyone but there's a fair bit of scope in the classes themselves. Some attendees see it as a Gaelic flavoured holiday and break into English at the drop of a hat and stay there. There are plenty though who make an effort.
It's very cosmopolitan with students from all over the world and it's very encouraging to be in amongst them all speaking Gaelic. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
I also had a taste of TIP this year and found it interesting and potentially very useful. I don't know of any short courses going on though. They seem to be in longer modules.
Feel free to PM me if you want more detailed information.
sr3nitygirl

@Michael - I am taking a structured course this year with the AGA which has both grammar and conversational elements to it, so something a little more on the conversational side would be what I'm looking for, but if there are grammar elements there too, then that would be fine. I know there may be some folks out there who might say I shouldn't be taking even a short course at the same time as my main course, but if I do find a course, then it will be an opportunity that I don't want to pass up. I don't get back to Scotland much these days and this will be the first time in 12 years!

@Alasdair - Thanks :) I'll PM you.

Thanks guys.

Steaphanaidh.
MagaidhHeb
Language Level: Fluent

Unread post by MagaidhHeb »

Steaphanaidh

There will be an 4 day GSOL immersion course in the Western Isles begining on Monday 2nd April 2012. The Gaelic for Speakers of Other Languages courses have just been launched this week January 2012. If the 2nd April does not fit into your itinery let me know and we can perhaps organsise another Gaelic learning opportunity for you during your stay in Scotland.

leis gach durachd

Magaidh
conmaol

Unread post by conmaol »

That sounds very interesting Magaidh. Could you maybe post something about these new courses in the Gaelic 2012 forum (i.e. http://www.foramnagaidhlig.net/foram/viewforum.php?f=31), complete with links and contact details, so that all of the new learners can find out about it?
sr3nitygirl

A Mhagaidh,

Thank you for the information about this course!
I should be finalizing my dates and plans over the next two to three weeks, so I will most definitely be in touch!

Ceud Taing!
Steaphanaidh
MagaidhHeb
Language Level: Fluent

Unread post by MagaidhHeb »

Con
The link for GSOL courses is to follow very soon.
Maggie
LisaT
Language Level: Non-existent

Unread post by LisaT »

I believe there's a Facebook page set up for the gsol courses. I liked the link when I saw it on Gaelic Glasgow's news feed earlier today. That may keep you up to date with the course. Lx
sr3nitygirl

Gordon
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Gordon »

conmaol

Unread post by conmaol »

Does anyone have any testimonials for MiLC?
Gordon

Unread post by Gordon »

Níall Beag
Rianaire
Language Level: Fluent (non-native)

Unread post by Níall Beag »

Caution:
One of the students wrote:“I am definitely more confident with my Gaelic today than I was four days earlier.”
Most quotes I see for any language class (in any language) are from what I call "false beginners". Without knowing how much they'd studied before entering the classroom, it's actually quite hard to evaluate their feedback....
Fear na coille
Language Level: meadhonach

Unread post by Fear na coille »

Níall Beag wrote:Caution:
One of the students wrote:“I am definitely more confident with my Gaelic today than I was four days earlier.”
Most quotes I see for any language class (in any language) are from what I call "false beginners". Without knowing how much they'd studied before entering the classroom, it's actually quite hard to evaluate their feedback....
Carson an spàirn mhòr?

A Mhaistir Beag, Gabhaibh mo leisgeul ach feumaidh mi radh (le nàire orm) anns a' Bheurla. :
I'm sorry to broach this so early in my FnG venture. I just can't help but notice the zealous and perhaps priggish way you attack immersion learning. I admire your passion, and I believe you feel strongly in you position. But you leave very little room for other people's experience. You somehow have the ability to evaluate the outcome of someone's honest attempt at self-discovery?

My own experience tells me that I took away a lot from my short courses at SMO, I also improved my Spanish by hanging out with my Honduran neighbors in their garage bebiendo cervesas.
Both immersion experiences were preceded by some book prep. But it was not until face to face contact was made with actual people, that I could do anything with the hibernating words and expressions I had learned in a book.

Why not adopt a holistic approach? Every little bit of input helps. I would be thrilled at the opportunity of staying with a Gaelic-Speaking family on Leòdhas and hearing the language viva-voce.
Is there anyone on this forum that wouldn't? :?: