Short courses (immersion?)

Deasbaid air cùrsaichean chànain amsaa. / Anything about language courses etc.
Seonaidh
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Re: Short courses (immersion?)

Unread post by Seonaidh »

I do not actually think Niall's attacking the idea of immersion learning. Rather, he's pointing out that one should - how they put it - caveat emptor, or watch out for fantastic claims. Mar a thuirt an Dear Leader (Daibhidh Camshron), "Calm down, dear!"

Fear na coille
Language Level: meadhonach

Unread post by Fear na coille »

One of the students wrote:“I am definitely more confident with my Gaelic today than I was four days earlier.”

I'm not sure this qualifies as a fantastic claim. Maybe if the student said "I have now mastered the Gaelic language, having enrolled in this groundbreaking course" I know real people don't speak that way except in Advertisements, and Infomercials.

N Beag is surely thoughtful in his analysis of learning methods, and very correct to point out any dubious claims made by organizations. I just like to hear all sides of the debate including testimonials from participants.

Air mo shocair a Sheonaidh!
Thrissel
Language Level: eadar-mheadhanach

Unread post by Thrissel »

Fear na coille wrote:One of the students wrote:“I am definitely more confident with my Gaelic today than I was four days earlier.”

I'm not sure this qualifies as a fantastic claim.
Neither am I.

But Níall Beag wrote: "Most quotes I see for any language class (in any language) are from what I call "false beginners". Without knowing how much they'd studied before entering the classroom, it's actually quite hard to evaluate their feedback...." and I'm not sure this qualifies as a zealous and perhaps priggish way to attack immersion learning.

Pax, a h-uile duine :priob: ...
Fear na coille

O.K. Gabh mo leisgeul, the presidential election/primary is heating up here, inflamitory rhetoric and all, sure it has parked somewhere in my subconscious.

Looks like I was trying to skin an amaoba.. Tha mi duilich Mhst Beag.
Gordon

Unread post by Gordon »

Hi a h-uile duine,

These comments are excellent and understandable. I think everyone is very passionate about Gaelic as I am and our main aim in these courses is to help people to become confident Gaelic speakers , create bonds with Gaelic speaking families and enjoy the Isle of Lewis - geography, landscape and nature.

Some of our students had already been on Gaelic courses , others hadn't - after the end of the four days, it was great to see us having little conversations in Gaelic in the Woodlands Centre and enjoying using the newly learned phrases with our peers at the same Gaelic level. Fun to use it, to help each other, etc

We're recruiting for full-time students at any level , so send me a message if you want to enrol on the course.

We also have a Hebridean Gaelic Experience which is a two week Gaelic course in the summer (Hebridean Celtic Festival Weekend) where there are langauge classes and excursions round the island.

Thanks for your support and interest and keep the debate going!

Best wishes,
Gordon Murray
MiLC
Níall Beag
Rianaire
Language Level: Fluent (non-native)

Unread post by Níall Beag »

Fear na coille wrote:Why not adopt a holistic approach?
Which was exactly the point of my statement.
(Which, incidentally, was not specifically aimed at immersion learning -- I said any course, and any language.)
Fear na coille

A rithist tha mi duilich..

My reaction was over-blown, if anything is gained it may perhaps be a clarification of your position, as I was alarmed by what seemed to me extraordinary effort on your part in casting doubt on the effectiveness of this course. I beg your pardon for any misunderstanding of your fair estimation of this or any course. Ma bhiomaid anns a' bhàr feumaidh mi deòch ri ceannaich. Dè ghabhas sibh?
conmaol

Unread post by conmaol »

Discussion on this forum is always forthright! But then many members have known each other for a number of years. The challenge for 2012 is to maintain honest argument without alienating newbies, at least to some extent.
sr3nitygirl

Unread post by sr3nitygirl »

Ah well, as so often happens with "plans", they "gang aft agley"...

Don't think I'm going to make the trip this year after all.

Next year, perhaps!

Still, at least the course discussion was useful!
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Hope you can make it next year :D
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
sr3nitygirl

Unread post by sr3nitygirl »

I hope so too, a GhunChleoc.

At least I did find out one little bit of good news.

The ACGA (of which I am a member) is working with folks in Arizona to put together an immersion weekend in April (I think) in Flagstaff, Arizona.

It's a bit far from where I am in Baltimore, but probably cheaper to get to than Glasgow :)
faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

I saw it advertised on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/An-Comunn ... 5317028487

19 - 22 April.

Tha mi duilich nach bi thu ann an Alba am bliadhna, ach tha mi an dòchas gur urrainn dhut a bhith ann am Flagstaff an àite sin!