Nàimhdean dripeil trang

Na tha a' tachairt ann an saoghal na Gàidhlig agus na pàipearan-naidheachd / What's happening in the Gaelic world and the newspapers
Gràisg
Rianaire
Language Level: Caran robach sna laithean seo

Nàimhdean dripeil trang

Unread post by Gràisg »

Seo na beachdan a tha tighinn a-steach air litir taiceil a tha ri leughadh sa Chourier Inbhir Nis 'Good that past policies are being reversed':
http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/news ... ersed.html

city girl
Unless gaelic can come up with miracle cures and miracle business, which more than more than probably can't, it's RUDE to teach it instead of scandinavian or latin american languages. Even latin has more of a place in medicine, law and biology than gaelic. SCROUNGING AROUND as usual. No finger pointing of course!

Mar sin leib an drasda
Yesterday, 15:30:16– Flag – Like – Reply – Delete – Edit – Moderate Jon
Some people should not be allowed unsupervised internet access!
Yesterday, 22:02:25– Flag – Like – Reply – Delete – Edit – Moderate city girl
It's not so much people being forced as persuaded to part with tax which would have gone to equal rights, health and education.

Dear father christmas,

Letter from some poor soul like me once upon a time,
Due to the fact that he once exsisted and my delusional belief that it would benefit humanity, I would like to learn the language of neanderthal man, and make everyone else learn it to! It'll cost millions, and considering the interest it could have generated investing into something which could benefit us all, billions perhaps, it'll be a total waste of money, but being a small % of the population, I feel it's my god given right. I'll get to choose the words that don't exist yet, as I am the most tremendous human being since neanderthal man existed.
Signed my ever burning bright shining humanitarian ego, who happens to have invested years into gaelic!
Yesterday, 15:53:06– Flag – Like – Reply – Delete – Edit – Moderate bigangus
Well ma tha! They are Voting with their feet in South Uist, im a born and bred one hundred and 20 percent Gael,and only spoke Gaelic when i went to School, but im just saying what im witnessing here, in The Daliburgh School only one third of pupils attend the Gaelic medium and this is supposedly the heartland of Gaelic,in fact the well publicised Ceolas takes place on this same site !! but the above statistics speak differently . and i see plenty of other examples as well, but why not have a ceilidh at the taxpayers expense while its going , but seriously they all need to get seriously stuck into the academic side of education as far as i see and gear, and not so much of music, football and other arty crafty stuff that seems to take up most of their time and the rest taken up by bad weather or long weekends , It an airy fairy life and like flogging a dead horse .
Yesterday, 19:27:04– Flag – Like – Reply – Delete – Edit – Moderate Leodhasach
What are you on about!? If you can't form a coherent argument why bother wasting the time to type? If you'd bothered to read any of the facts presented to you by the likes of Arthur Cormack and Roy Pederson then you'd realise there's no scrounging going on. But hey, why let the facts get in the way of a good rant eh?
Yesterday, 19:55:05– Flag – Like – Reply – Delete – Edit – Moderate Jacko
Oh John

Come down to earth man. Get your head out of those woolly sentimental clouds. Guess what all those poor dispossessed gaelic speakers did after the Clearances and as soon as they got to Canada? They shot, killed and exterminated every single indian who dared to appear on their newly 'acquired' property.

Guess how much interest the gaelic speakers showed towards the survival of the indigenuous Indian languages? Not much really.

Who were the most enthusiastic slave owners, the most virulent opponents of ol' Abe Lincoln? Yup the Scots/ Irish again. See if you can guess who were the most successful (and most racist) group - by far - in old Rhodesia. Yup - that's us again.

John world history is a history of one group ( and language) subjugating another. Not nice, but that's the way it is. Gaelic is as dead as Roman latin. English is high on the hog at the moment.

But I humbly suggest that you start brushing up on your Mandarin Chinese. That's the next big thing - and it's coming John - real soon.
Yesterday, 19:56:23– Flag – Like – Reply – Delete – Edit – Moderate Jane
Watching the death of Gaelic is sad but its demise is inevitable. However we can rest assured that every worker employed in the Gaelic industry will argue otherwise until they retire on a nice fat public sector pension.
Yesterday, 20:14:26– Flag – Like – Reply – Delete – Edit – ModerateLiked byJacko Missy
I,m a Gaelic speaker but don't have a large chip on my shoulder about it being forced upon everyone else in Scotland! It's just another language just like French, Spainish or Polish which is spoken in this area. I have never forced my children to learn or speak it and they do not attend the Gaelic school in Inverness. If they wish to study it or take exams in secondary then that will be their choice. The fact is that it IS being pushed by certain people in the Highlands at a huge cost to other resources such as the elderly or disabled. We are in the middle of huge cutbacks in funding right accross the Highland Council and Gaelic should not be exempt either!
Yesterday, 22:32:58– Flag – Like – Reply – Delete – Edit – ModerateLiked byJacko Niall Gòrdan
So is it "rude" that I can make a living here in Skye on my own hooks, support my wife and earn money which is again invested into our local and national economy?

Is this scrounging?

Thalla 's tarraing.
Today, 03:17:01– Flag – Like – Reply – Delete – Edit – Moderate Country Boy
John,
Obscene amounts of money has been spent by the Highland council going round changing road signs, and for what, so a couple of people can say "yes" we now know where we are going thank goodness (aye right). Nobody is saying you dont have the right to talk the language I sometimes wish I could, but to waste money on something like road signs is incorrect and unneccesary.
And bye the way dont bring the war dead into this argument, you are soiling there reputation, we all know what we owe them and it certainly aint using their name as a lever to get what you want. As for the clearance this action was supported and implemented by the wealthy Scots so you cant just blame the English for it.
As for rights what about my rights did I get asked if the council could waste my taxes on Gaelic signs ?? I suggest you knock the chip of your shoulder and get on with life, it surely does not last long.
Today, 07:58:43– Flag – Like – Reply – Delete – Edit – Moderate Leodhasach
£30,000 is being spent on bilingual signs. Hardly obscene. But again, why let the facts get in the way of a good argument? It's been done to death on here, yet people like you still ignore the figures presented to you and continue to bang about there being a disproportionate amount of public money being spent on supporting the language when this is clearly not the case.

Strikes me that the folk with the chip on the shoulder are the ones that have the anti-gaelic bias. I'm seeing far more negativity from them than anyone else. However if you really have a problem with it I'd suggest you contact your local MSP.
Today, 10:12:44– Flag – Like – Reply – Delete – Edit – Moderate Angus Òg
City Girl - what a ridiculous comment. Grow up! Rude?
Today, 09:02:28– Flag – Like – Reply – Delete – Edit – Moderate