And the Oscar will not go to...

Na tha a' tachairt ann an saoghal na Gàidhlig agus na pàipearan-naidheachd / What's happening in the Gaelic world and the newspapers
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by GunChleoc »

BRIAN PENDREIGH

EVER wondered what an overwrought Oscar winner's speech would sound like in Gaelic? Well, you'll have to wonder a lot longer.

Gaelic feature film The Inaccessible Pinnacle has been robbed of potential Academy Award glory after London-based film experts took the controversial decision that it was not even worth nominating for a foreign language Oscar.

The move has outraged many in the Scottish movie industry, who were convinced Seachd - its Gaelic title - was a shoo-in as the UK's official candidate for the prestigious title.

Seachd created a buzz at early screenings, was compared to the Ewan McGregor fantasy film Big Fish, and will open in British multiplexes next month alongside the latest Hollywood blockbusters.

But it seems the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (Bafta) failed to read the script. A Bafta subcommittee responsible for putting forward UK films to be considered for Oscar nomination decided against including The Inaccessible Pinnacle.

Bafta film awards officer Louise Beasley told Scotland on Sunday that a Welsh language film had also been up for consideration but: "The jury has decided not to put any films forward."

She added: "I'm afraid I'm not at liberty to discuss the contents of the jury's discussion because it's confidential."

Seachd producer Christopher Young, whose credits also include Venus Peter, Gregory's Two Girls and Festival, said: "I'm gobsmacked. I just assumed that there was a better film in their opinion. I'm gobsmacked that they just said 'Oh no, we don't like your film and we're not putting anything forward.' I think that's a bit weird."

tuilleadh...

ruighean

Unread post by ruighean »

Am faca tu Seachd fhathast? Bha mi air ais ann an Inbhir Pheofharain nuair a bha iad a' sealltainn an fhilm aig SMO.
GunChleoc
Rianaire

Chan fhaca. Tha agam ri feitheamh ris an DVD.
No. I have to wait for the DVD.
Alasdair Fitheach

Sin agad sin

Unread post by Alasdair Fitheach »

after London-based film experts took the controversial decision that it was not even worth nominating for a foreign language Oscar.
ann an Lunnainn. mm-hmm. chan fheumaidh mi innse dhuibh dè tha sin a' ciallachadh.
Rù-ra
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Rù-ra »

ruighean wrote:Am faca tu Seachd fhathast?
Bidh mi ga fhaicinn Diardaoin. Bidh taigh-dhealbh gluasadach (Screen Machine) ann am Muile.
Coinneach Cìr
Rianaire
Language Level: Fileanta

Unread post by Coinneach Cìr »

Chunnaic mise e agus chòrd e rium glan. Tha e cianail nach fhaigh iad cothrom air Oscar agus diobhatla gu bheil iad a cleachdadh an fhacal "confidential" mar lethsgeul. :evil:
ruighean

Rù-ra wrote:
ruighean wrote:Am faca tu Seachd fhathast?
Bidh mi ga fhaicinn Diardaoin. Bidh taigh-dhealbh gluasadach (Screen Machine) ann am Muile.
Coinneach Cìr wrote:Chunnaic mise e agus chòrd e rium glan. Tha e cianail nach fhaigh iad cothrom air Oscar agus diobhatla gu bheil iad a cleachdadh an fhacal "confidential" mar lethsgeul. :evil:

Tha mi ag eudach ruibh. Tha mi fhathast a' feitheamh ri chluintinn bho Eden Court agus Vue Cinemas ann an Inbhir Nis. Bidh Vue Cinemas ga sealltainn ann an Dùn Èideann 's mar sin tha mi an dòchas gum bidh iad ga sealltainn ann an Inbhir Nis cuideachd.
cadalach

Unread post by cadalach »

Tha beagan air Seachd anns a' Ghuardian (pàipear-naidheachd san Rìoghachd Aonaichte) an diugh.
GunChleoc
Rianaire

Tapadh leat! Fhuair mi e:

The movie at the edge of the world
Coinneach Cìr
Rianaire

GunChleoc wrote:Tapadh leat! Fhuair mi e:

The movie at the edge of the world
Gu math inntinneach. Tapadh leibh.
Níall Beag
Rianaire
Language Level: Fluent (non-native)

Unread post by Níall Beag »

I've added my thoughts on this travesty to the Ùr-Nòs catalogue...

Available in three colours at:
http://ur-nos.spreadshirt.net
ruighean

Simon Miller, the Director of "Seachd: The Inaccessible Pinnacle" has asked for the following message to be forwarded:
As you may have read BAFTA (The UK's film academy) has failed to put forward any non-English language films for the Best Foreign Language Film category at next year's Oscars - which includes Seachd.

THERE IS SOMETHING YOU CAN DO TO HELP, PARTICULARLY THOSE OF YOU FROM OUTSIDE THE UK...

Of 18 Western European countries invited by the Academy to put non-English language films forward for the Oscars, the UK is the only one to fail to do so.

BAFTAs decision is sensless and really could not have been made on some measure of the "quality" of the film, given the strong early reviews we have had ("excellent" The Sunday Times, "breathtaking" BBC, "tender, graceful...gorgeously-realised" The Herald, "worth shouting about" The Scotsman, "dramatic, funny and spectacular" The List, and "an astonishing production" Eye For Film). And surely they wouldn't have put forward such obviously English language turkeys as they have in recent years if quality really was the issue?

BAFTA is an institution designed to promote British film - in whatever language - and their decision feels dangerously close to censorship and it will mean - ultimately - that less people will get to see the film in the UK internationally.

YOU CAN HELP CHANGE THAT...

We have been able to gather a great deal of support to help overturn their decision within the film industry in the UK, and also from the Academy who have written to BAFTA asking for an explanation. And we have just learned that this issue is on the agenda to be debated in the Scottish Parliament on Thursday this week.

HERE'S WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP...

Finola Dwyer is the Chair of the BAFTA committee that neglected to put any non-English language British films forward. Her email address is: finola@finoladwyerproductions.co.uk

Amanda Berry is the Chief Exceutive in BAFTA. Her email address is: amandab@bafta.org

We invite you to email Finola and Amands to let them know IN YOUR OWN WORDS what you think of BAFTAs decision not to any non-English British film forward for the Oscars.

I have received many emails asking when the film will be on release in America, Canada, Europe, Australia and all over the world. If you are able to email, we'll have a far greater chance of getting to you!

MORAN TAING (MANY THANKS) IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!
ruighean

Seo sgeulachd leis a' BhBC Film producer quits in Oscar row

EDIT: Duilich, tha seo anns a' Ghàidhlig cuideachd.
Connspaid mu fhilm Gàidhlig
Coinneach Cìr
Rianaire

ruighean wrote:EDIT: Duilich, tha seo anns a' Ghàidhlig cuideachd.
Connspaid mu fhilm Gàidhlig
Tha e math gu bheil iad a cur Gàidhlig air sgeulachdan an-dràsta 's a-rithist....ged nach do chòrd an susbaint rium.

Its good that they are tr*nsl*t*ng stories to Gaelic from time to time....although I didn't enjoy the substance of it.
Gràisg
Rianaire
Language Level: Caran robach sna laithean seo

Unread post by Gràisg »

Chunnaic mi e sa mhadainn seo ann an Inbhir Nis agus chòrd e rium glan. Bafta ithe seachd troighean de mo ***!