idiom question.

Ciamar a chanas mi.... / How do I say...
tj4234
Language Level: Intermediate

idiom question.

Unread post by tj4234 »

The phrase 'mar sinn leat' (like that with you) is often used in Gaelic as a way of saying 'good bye'. Given it's literal meaning, is it also be used to say 'you too' in normal conversation?

E.G.

person 1. Tapaidh leat
person 2. Mar sinn leat!

Also as a side note, does anyone have any tips for memorizing the irregular verbs?

Thrissel
Language Level: eadar-mheadhanach

Re: idiom question.

Unread post by Thrissel »

It's mar sin leat, "like that with you", and according to Mark's dictionary "same to you" was it's original meaning when saying goodbye - used as a reply to another way of saying it: beannachd leat ("blessing with you") - mar sin leat

You mean their forms? I'm afraid the best's just good old "practice makes perfect"...
Gràisg
Rianaire
Language Level: Caran robach sna laithean seo

Unread post by Gràisg »

You could try memorising entire sentences out of the like of Colin Mark's Gaelic verbs, even make a sound file or two and play them while doing the dishes, walking to the pub etc.
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Putting them in a useful sentence will make memorising easier.

Don't worry about trying to learn them all at once. Using the forms again and again is what will make them stick. Don't worry if you still have a few gaps, they will close with time as you keep using them.
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
Alasdair Fitheach

Unread post by Alasdair Fitheach »

I use a flashcard software to drill vocabulary and irregular verbs. There are lots of flashcard applications out there, so you can easily find one you like.