[Gaelic 2012] Fàilte! Welcome new learners!

Cò thusa? / Introduce yourself
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Re: Fàilte! Welcome new learners!

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Fàilte oirbh uile! :smeid:

It' a delight to see new users and giving it a go! We're quite an international bunch :D

I'm currently travelling so my posts will be few and short. Tapadh leat Fhaoileag gun do chuir thu fàilte do na h-uile duine! :flur:

Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
terrencevane
Language Level: Tha glE beag GAidlig agam.

Unread post by terrencevane »

Madainn/Feasgar mhath a Gh`aidhlig 2012! Is mise Terrence, agus tha mi a fuireach an Alaska. Chan eil m`or g`aidhlig an seo; tha mi ag ionsachachd na G`aidhlig ann an internet. OK, that's about as far as I've managed to get. This is my nth attempt; hopefully having a group of us all learning together will help me get with it. I know I need to get my grammar back up to snuff! '-) I need to find a good online course that has both text and audio, and/or ideally that works well on an iPhone. '-) Anyway, looking forward to learning to say more than "Hi, how are you." Of course I also need to figure out how to do the accent marks in Internet Explorer.

Tapeadh leibh airson Gaidhlig2012!
Terrence
faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

Agus failte, nshoreman! :D

Caite a bheil thu an an Ceap Breatainn? Where are you in CB?
faoileag
Maor

Agus failte dhutsa, Terrence!

There is another Alaskan member on this forum, Tearlach61. He lives in Juneau and is pretty fluent.

He also posts his own videos with Gaelic commentaries on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/tearlach61?feature=watch

Hope you can find some tips and links that suit you on the various relevant threads here! :D
terrencevane
Language Level: Tha glE beag GAidlig agam.

Unread post by terrencevane »

Tapadh leibh a-Fhaoileag! Nice to know there's at least one other Alaskan Gaelic speaker out there! '-D I'm going to check out some of the links that show up on the board index and some podcasts I have heard of for speaking practice. Doesn't beat actually talking to someone but it's a start anyway.
LisaT
Language Level: Non-existent

Unread post by LisaT »

Feasgar math! Is mise Lisa, ciamar a tha sibh? And that's about the sum total of my knowledge of Gaelic. That and "briogais." My son is to start at a Gaelic medium nursery this month with a view to going to the Glasgow Gaelic School so feel I should make a real effort to learn the language too so that I will at least be able to pronounce the words in his homework. I've sent off an application for An Cùrsa Inntrigidh at SMO so I've got my fingers crossed for that. I'd like to use skype to help my learning but want to actually get started with the learning first or else it'll just be conversations in English.

I wonder what I'll be writing here in 12 months...

Lisa
conmaol

Unread post by conmaol »

Fàilte dhan Fòram, a Lìosa! We should probably start a new topic aimed at people who live in Glasgow and discussing Gaelic learning opportunities there.
Jamilah
Language Level: None

Unread post by Jamilah »

Hi everyone!

I am originally from Germany and moved to the Isle of Skye in October 2011. Since I always wanted to learn Gaelic (I did a few workshops in Germany 10 years ago - but there was no one to talk to) I´ll now give it a new try! I enrolled at a distance learning course at Sabhal Mor Ostaig, beginning in February and thought that Gaelic2012 might be a lovely oppurtunity to chat to others :-)

Thanks for that great initiative! Looking forward to see it unfold!!!
nshoreman
Language Level: Intermediate

Unread post by nshoreman »

faoileag wrote:Agus failte, nshoreman! :D

Caite a bheil thu an an Ceap Breatainn? Where are you in CB?
Tha mi a' fuireach air a Chladach a Tuath. Cait' a' fuireach sibh? A bheil thu teann air mise? Tapadh leibh airson a' scriobhadh dhomh.
LinsayR
Language Level: Complete beginner but keen to learn

Unread post by LinsayR »

Hi, Is mise Linsay. I live near Falkirk and have wanted to learn Gaelic for ages, but never quite got round to it. This link came up at the right time so hopefully will encourage me to try more phrases out! I have a CD and book, but like the others, I found it difficult on my own - I'm hoping this may encourage me to stick with it. :?
LisaT
Language Level: Non-existent

Unread post by LisaT »

Hi Linsey, where abouts near Falkirk do you stay? I live in Glasgow but I'm from Falkirk, and we're back there most weeks.

It occurred to me that I'd only told people my name and location which isn't particularly friendly! So, I'm Lisa and I'm a 30 year old mum to a 4 year old son and a 1 year old daughter (1 going on 21). I'm a primary school teacher but I'm on a 5 year career break to bring up the kids so I don't need to return to work till the 20th April 2016! To make ends meet I'm now a Weight Watchers leader, for my sins. I enjoy languages, I did French to 1st year at uni, and picked up Italian in 3rd year. I used to try to teach myself Gaelic when I was a child by watching Dotaman and Speaking our Language, writing things down phonetically and sticking them to my wall. I don't think I ACTUALLY learned anything though.

Lx
Prenna
Language Level: Absolute beginner

Unread post by Prenna »

Madainn mhath,
I'm signing up here in the hope that I can get more motivation and consistency in my learning. Basically a kick up the backside :)
I've been learning on and off for nearly two years now but haven't really got beyond basic greetings. I've attended the Sgoil-Earraich Nàiseanta (National Spring School) hosted by Comunn Gàidhlig Astràilia back in 2010 and the Brisbane Scottish Gaelic Learners Group once a month. It's going to be a struggle to try and become fluent so far from gaelic's native land but I'm hoping to get close.

Pleased to meet you all.

Le meas,

Prenna
faoileag
Maor

Fàilte, a Phrenna! :D

We have a fairly fluent Australian member, Alastair Bochd, on the board. I'm sure he can give you some tips and contacts!

You might also hit a time that suits North American learners on here to Skype for some mutual practice and support, eg agreeing to do/ learn / practise certain things before next session. Maybe morning with them, evening with you. :lol:
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Welcome everyone! Fàilte oirbh uile!

@Jamilah: Ich spreche Deutsch, Du kannst mich also auch gerne was auf Deutsch fragen. Es gibt auch ein deutschsprachiges Internet-Forum, unter www.schottisch-gaelisch.de
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
Myrkk
Language Level: absolute beginner just starting out

Unread post by Myrkk »

Feasgar mhath. Is mise Angela. My husband and I started learning Gaelic a couple of years ago via Speaking Our Language on BBC Alba. Unfortunately our sky box deleted them all before we'd got past episode 3. The second time the series started we tried again but the sky box did the same......... ARGH, perhaps we should take the hint. We've now found the series on DVD and it has just arrived so we intend to start learning again. We're from just outside Dunedin but live in Cymru at the moment. This forum is a fantastic find and will hopefully help us hugely in our quest to learn Gaelic.

Good luck to us all in our learning experience this year.