Hàlo!

Cò thusa? / Introduce yourself
MacBrádaigh
Language Level: Tòisichear
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Hàlo!

Unread post by MacBrádaigh »

Hàlo. 'S mise Scott, agus tha mi airson Gàidhlig ionnsachadh. S' e mi Albannach a th' annam, tha mi à Glaschu, agus 's e oileanach a th' annam.
Intended: Hello. My name is Scott, and I want to learn Gàidhlig. I'm Scottish, I'm from Glasgow, and I'm a student (at the University of Glasgow).

Been learning via "Beag air bheag" since this morning so what's written above is about as much as I can manage, whether correct or not! There are plenty of things about this quirky language that still confuse me, but I'll see if I can work them out before I ask.

Hope you're all well.

SAB.

EDIT: P.S. Thought I was doing alright but just turned on the BBC Alba highlights of Dundee United v Kilmarnock and was blown away by the speed of the introduction. Lots of work to be done.

Zwalla28
Language Level: Tha mo ionnsachadh gun deireadh

Re: Hàlo!

Unread post by Zwalla28 »

Fàilte ort, a Scott! Tha mi cinnteach gum bi am fòram a' còrdadh riut, agus gum bi thu ga chleachdadh gu tric. Tha e air a bhith glè chuideachail dhomh, gun teagamh. Nuair a thòisich mi Gàidhlig ionnsachdh, bha mi daonnan ag obair le TAIC agus An Litir Bheag, TAIC gu h-àraid. 'S e Akerbeltz a th' anns an làrach-lìn as fheàrr, ma tha thu ag iarraidh do bhlas na Beurla a chall. Bu chòir dhut sùil a thoirt air "Na Fuaimean na Gàidhlig" an-sin, agus rach air ais oirre mòran uairean. Can na fuaimean 's can na fuaimean 's can na fuaimean a-rithist, ged a tha thu cho fòrtanach, gu bheil thu a' fuireach ann an Alba agus tha fileantaich ann air feadh na dùthcha. Gur math a thèid leat, agus na gabh dragh ma bhiodh ceistean agad, faighnich iad!
---------------
Welcome, Scott! I'm sure that you will enjoy the forum, and that you will use it often. It has been very helpful for me, without a doubt. When I started to learn Gaelic, I was always working with TAIC (link on top bar) and an Litir Bheag (just a google away), TAIC especially. Akerbeltz is the best website, if you want to lose your English accent. You should take a look at "The sound of Gaelic" there, and go back many times. Say the sounds and say the sounds and say the sounds again, even though you're so fortunate, that you live in Scotland and there are fluent speakers all over the country. Good luck, and don't worry if you have question, ask them!

Hàlo. 'S mise Scott, agus tha mi airson Gàidhlig ionnsachadh. S' e mi Albannach a th' annam, tha mi à Glaschu, agus 's e oileanach a th' annam.
The bold is incorrect, and should be one of the following:
'S mise Albannach --- approx. I am a Scot
'S e Albannach a th' annam --- approx. It is a Scot that is in me

Compared to the original It is me a Scot that is in me.

'S math a rinn thu gu dearbh, ma nach do ionnsaich thu ach aon latha!
You did well indeed, if you've only been learning for a day!
Last edited by Zwalla28 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bhiodh gaol agam oirbh gu bràth, ma cheartaicheadh sibh na mearachdan sa' phost os cionn!
Sgeul aigeantach mòr ri linn,
Gu'm bi neart, agus ceart, mar ri treòir,
Do'n fhear sheasas còir an rìgh.
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Fàilte chridheil ort, a Scott! Jumping right in and trying out your skills is the perfect way to go :)

Zwalla is correct, the key to learn is practicing the sounds a lot. The Akerbeltz site (Fuaimean na Gàidhlig & Beagan gràmair) and his book Blas na Gàidhlig are also useful for understanding how the sounds work. Think of it like learning the pipes, only you exercise your mouth instead of your fingers. Expect a few wrong notes along the way and don't worry when they happen. If you like music, you can also sing along to songs. I have put the lyrics to all the Gaelic Runrig songs on our homepage and added the missing accents, so everybody can see the correct vowel length.

Turning on the TV and radio is also a good idea, even if you don't understand everything. You can also just let it run in the background.

Beagan cheartachaidhean / a few corrections:

S' e mi Albannach a th' annam - annam already means ann + mi, so you don't add a second mi.

ma tha thu ag iarraidh do bhlas na Beurla a chall

Bu chòir dhut sùil a thoirt air

air feadh na dùthcha - feadh is a noun, so there follows the genitive. People usually teach separate rules for complex prepositions, verbal nouns etc., but you don't really need an extra rule. Just stick a genitive at the end of a string of nouns and Bob's your uncle :)

ma bhiodh
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

Agus fàilte bhuamsa cuideachd! :D

And welcome from me too!
MacBrádaigh
Language Level: Tòisichear

Unread post by MacBrádaigh »

Update: been incredibly busy at university so have devoted no time to Gàidhlig. Now hoping to rectify that over the summer; although still on placement there should be less pressure on me. Looking forward to learning. Hope everyone has been well!
Mairead
Language Level: Intermediate

Unread post by Mairead »

Fàilte, a Scott! An toil leat BBC Alba? Tha mòran prògraman aige. I love watching BBC Alba to practise Gaelic! The kids' programmes aren't subtitled but you can infer a lot of what's going on based on the visuals, so it's a fun way to train your ears. :) And most of the adult programmes are subtitled which helps a lot too! One show that's been helping me learn vocabulary a lot is Tir is Teanga, a placename show, since you see the same words crop up again and again. :)

Am bheil thu a' leughadh Gàidhlig ann an clas anns an oilthigh idir? Are you studying Gaelic in a class at the university at all?
Last edited by Mairead on Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tha avatar agam à dhealbh aig mo phiuthar anns an Cellardyke. Tha trì videothan Ghàidhlig agam anns an Youtube.
My avatar is from a photo that my sister took in Cellardyke. I have three Gaelic videos on Youtube.
Màiri na Coille
Language Level: Beagan ach a fas nas fhearr

Unread post by Màiri na Coille »

Bu toigh leam gu mòr BBC Alba a choimhead, ach chan urrain dhomh ga fhaighinn idir anns na Stàitean. :( Ach tha Radio nan Gàidheal agam air loidhne.

I'd very much like to watch BBC Alba, but I can't get it at all in the States. But I do have Radio nan Gàidheal online.