Birlinn Ghoraidh Chrobhain

Ciamar a chanas mi.... / How do I say...
Mairead
Language Level: Intermediate
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by Mairead »

Halò, a h-uile duine! I'm writing up a museum pamphlet about songs, some of which are in Gaelic. I've been tr*nsl*t*ng the Gaelic titles myself but this one was so strange I wanted a second opinion. The song is called Birlinn Ghoraidh Chrobhain, which I'm currently tr*nsl*t*ng as “The galley of Cloven Godfrey”. Does that make sense? Is "cloven" this guy's byname? Or have I mistranslated the last word? Your help is much appreciated!

Tha avatar agam à dhealbh aig mo phiuthar anns an Cellardyke. Tha trì videothan Ghàidhlig agam anns an Youtube.
My avatar is from a photo that my sister took in Cellardyke. I have three Gaelic videos on Youtube.
faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

Not sure where you got 'cloven' from. In AFB cloven is 'crodhan'. Very different pronunciation.

Any translations of the song title tend to keep an Anglicised version of 'Chrobhain', such as Gorrie Gròvan.

e.g.
http://www.ambaile.org.uk/detail/en/427 ... oraidh.htm

http://www.tobarandualchais.co.uk/en/fullrecord/54472/6

http://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=31829

The nearest to 'cròbhan' that I found is
'crobh /kro
fir. gin. -a, iol. -an
1 paw 2 hoof 3 claw

OR

guth cròbhaidh
deep voice

cròbhaidh /krɔːvɪ/
bua. coi. -e
deep (of tone)
Mairead

Unread post by Mairead »

When I copy and pasted the word into AFB, they just gave me the crodhan entry. *shrugs* Thanks for your input!
Tha avatar agam à dhealbh aig mo phiuthar anns an Cellardyke. Tha trì videothan Ghàidhlig agam anns an Youtube.
My avatar is from a photo that my sister took in Cellardyke. I have three Gaelic videos on Youtube.
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach

Unread post by GunChleoc »

drodhan can also mean "clumsy hand", and then I found entries like crobh-dearg = bloody cranesbill (geranium sanguineum). So, unless we actually know what the name means, better leave it alone and follow faoileag's suggestion.
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
akerbeltz
Rianaire
Language Level: Barail am broinn baraille
Corrections: Please don't analyse my Gaelic

Unread post by akerbeltz »

Yes, sorry, the entry for crodhan/crobhan in the dictionary was a little older and had not been re-visited. So the dictionary correctly redirected you from the inflected chrobhain to the root but because you entered an inflected form, the right (Dwelly) side did not show crobhan (the clever redirects only work in the new (left) dictionary column.
I've now amended the entry. It's basically a diminutive of crobh paw/claw/hoof/clumsy hand as the others suggests.
Thanks for posting, it's hard to keep track of entries which need a second look and people mentioning this helps :D
Mairead

Unread post by Mairead »

Ah thanks for the explanation! This discussion has been very helpful. We were feeling a bit cheeky so we went with "Clumsy Godfrey" in the end. ;) And glad that I was of help for you, too!