Halò. Is mise Ionatan.

Cò thusa? / Introduce yourself
Ionatan

Halò. Is mise Ionatan.

Unread post by Ionatan »

Halò, a h-uile duine. Tha mi ag ionnsachadh Gàidhlig le "Can Seo" agus "Speaking Our Language".

It's very early days for me, so please point out my mistakes and make corrections.

PS: Where is the best place to post basic beginner questions so they don't annoy more proficient mebers?

faoileag
Maor

Halò. Is mise Ionatan.

Unread post by faoileag »

Fàilte chridheil ort!
A warm welcome to you!

You can post language questions in the Grammar section (any level! "More proficient users" are happy to share what they themselves have learned - we try to help everyone if we can! :-) ), viewforum.php?f=11

and try out things in the bilingual section. viewforum.php?f=2
Ionatan

Halò. Is mise Ionatan.

Unread post by Ionatan »

Mòran taing!

Thanks for the pointers around this forum. I have seen the "Just do it" thread - so I'll set "just doing it" as a target (if that's ot a contradiction in terms). As for working through "Can Seo", without stating my exact age :naire: , I'd just like to say:

Is toigh leam an cianalas
I love the nostalgia (did I get the right word? - it was a dictionary look up but it also seems to mean sadness so might not be the right nuance)
faoileag
Maor

Halò. Is mise Ionatan.

Unread post by faoileag »

Good try, and a correct grammatical sentence. :moladh:

Cianalas is quite a strong word in Gaelic, a mixture of longing for and missing (a time, place, community etc) - used a lot by emigrant Gaels in America etc.
Probably a bit too emotional for this context, unless you miss the seventies dreadfully! :-)
It's also something you feel, not something you observe in a programme or event etc.

You could just use "nostalgia" - a medical coinage, Greek and Latin roots, so not exactly English itself.

OR maybe stick with something simpler like sean-fhasanta - old-fashioned.
Tha e cho sean-fhasanta - 's toigh leam sin!
Ionatan

Halò. Is mise Ionatan.

Unread post by Ionatan »

Tapadh leibh airson do chuideachadh
Thank you for your help

My gut feeling was that cianalas might be the wrong word, especially as I am not pining THAT much for the 70s. I'll go with your suggestion (plus a little pronunciation check from the talking dictionary @ LearnGaelic :D and I am very pleased to say I spotted that silent 'fh').

Tha e cho sean-fhasanta - 's toigh leam sin!
Tha Sim a dansa uabhasach math ann am prògram a-sia! (~15:50) :lol:
Níall Beag
Rianaire
Language Level: Fluent (non-native)
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Halò. Is mise Ionatan.

Unread post by Níall Beag »

Fàilte dhan fhoram!

I'd also point out that one of the problems with dictionaries is that English is one of the fastest changing languages on the planet.

"Nostalgia" used to be a very strong word in English -- it even found it's way onto death certificates, particularly for sailors! Nostalgia has changed in English, and the typical confusion is led by dictionaries written before that change. The old joke nostalgia ain't what it used to be is actually true -- as the other saying goes, many a true word spoken in jest!