Online Gaelic Conversation Circles via Zoom

Deasbaid air cùrsaichean chànain amsaa. / Anything about language courses etc.
~Sìle~
Language Level: Intermediate
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Online Gaelic Conversation Circles via Zoom

Unread post by ~Sìle~ »

Cothrom Còmhraidh

Online Gaelic Conversation Circles for Gaelic Learners and Fluent Speakers on Zoom

Western Isles Learning Shop and An Lanntair welcomes Gaelic speakers and learners to join us for Cothrom Còmhraidh, whether you are based in the islands, Scotland, or overseas.

You can join our informal, tutor-moderated conversation groups if you're just wanting to chat with other fluent and semi-fluent speakers, or have only recently levelled up on Duolingo as an independent learner.

Anyone who is new to the groups is welcome to join a little earlier at 6.45 pm (18.45)* for additional tutor support before the others arrive. We provide prompt sheets with basic Gaelic phrases and are building up new sets based on group interests.

Click on the link below to complete the form to join our email list and we'll send you the Zoom links every Tuesday, and Wednesday ahead of the 7 p.m. (19.00)* meet-ups.

https://forms.gle/heU73HTEP4tFbvTS7

Cothrom Còmhraidh is fully funded by Bòrd na Gàidhlig, and is free to all participants, no matter their location.

* All times are UK / UTC times.

Mi-Fhìn
Language Level: Beginner

Re: Online Gaelic Conversation Circles via Zoom

Unread post by Mi-Fhìn »

Tha uidh agam ann an seo, ach chan urrainn dhomh tuilleadh fiosrachaidh a lorg.

I did a search to try to find out more about this but all I could find were sites by the University of Glasgow and none of the three organisations listed (Western Isles Learning Shop, An Lanntair, Bòrd na Gàidhlig) seem to have anything on their sites (or it escaped me). The sites I did see could well be related to something completely different but with the same name (Cothrom Còmhraidh) and on the exact same days (Tuesdays and Wednesdays) but they seem to suggest this only runs in January (so have I missed most of it). The also seem to suggest that the Tuesday is for beginners and the Wednesday is for fluent people (I'm a beginner and don't want to get the wrong day!).

I'd really appreciate any links or further information you might have about this.

Mòran taing!
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Start by filling out the form linked by Sìle above and they should get back to you with more information.
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

The first (Western Isles) one is very full, I gather, as it got shared worldwide, so is probably not being advertised widely any more. But send in your info anyway, and you should get a mail with more info.
You are mainly in breakout rooms with others of very approx. the same level. Beginners are dealt with separately.

The second one you mention, bookable via Eventbrite, is run by the University of Glasgow. By chance it has the same name and the same days but not the same times, and has a Tuesday session for lower-level, and a Wed one for fluent speakers.
faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

For more confident learners, there is a nice event in Nova Scotia every Friday, with a virtual cèilidh - in its original sense of chat and company, as well as music, stories etc
https://www.facebook.com/events/727272444532419/
Mi-Fhìn
Language Level: Beginner

Unread post by Mi-Fhìn »

faoileag wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:39 am The first (Western Isles) one is very full, I gather, as it got shared worldwide, so is probably not being advertised widely any more. <snip>

The second one you mention, bookable via Eventbrite, is run by the University of Glasgow. By chance it has the same name and the same days but not the same times, <snip>
Aah! Thanks for the info. This explains the "secrecy" of the first one and the confusion I had vs the second one. I am a bit cautious of filing in forms online with all the phishing and spam, hence my need to do a little background research even when advertised through a forum like this. There used to be a guy from Nairn who ran regular virtual meet-ups as one of the Duolingo Events. He had a beginner's group and a more 'advanced' conversation group but he doesn't seem to be doing it anymore.
~Sìle~
Language Level: Intermediate

Unread post by ~Sìle~ »

Mi-Fhìn wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:37 pmI'd really appreciate any links or further information you might have about this.
You can see the poster at Community Learning Hebrides Facebook page. I was unable to upload the picture to this forum. It was great fun, and well worth joining in.