Skype sessions

Cleachdaibh seo gus còmhraidhean Skype a chur air cois / Use this to arrange Skype meetings
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Skype sessions

Unread post by GunChleoc »

How about a Skype meet this weekend? A bheil ùile aig duine sam bith?

Rù-ra
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Rù-ra »

Tha mi duilich, ach bidh mi air falbh - ann an Dùn Eideann còmhla ri mo nighean agus a triùir charaidean.
miguel

Unread post by miguel »

Chan eil fhios agam ma bhios mi air laoidhne.
I don't know if I will be online.

I have now a micro, so I think it works but... I think I will feel very "disease" when I will try to understand and speak Gàidhlig. I write and read much more better than I hear. Is that normal ? How did you manage the first time ? :oops:
GunChleoc
Rianaire

I didn't understand a lot the first time. You can use the chat function to help. I always send a chat first anyway.
Coinneach Cìr
Rianaire
Language Level: Fileanta

Unread post by Coinneach Cìr »

B' urrainn dhomhsa a bhi an sàs ann an co-labhairt Skype a-màireach às dèidh 9f (ann an Alba).

I'll be able to participate in a Skype conference tomorrow after 9pm (in Scotland).
miguel

Unread post by miguel »

Feuchaidh mi a bhith air loidhne an ath oidhch'.
I'll try to be online tomorrow night.
Gràisg
Rianaire
Language Level: Caran robach sna laithean seo

Unread post by Gràisg »

Ma bhios cothrom agam bidh mise ann.
GunChleoc
Rianaire

Tha mi duilich nach robh mi ann, bha caraid gam tadhal gu iongantach. An do ghabh sibh tlachd? :D
Níall Beag
Rianaire
Language Level: Fluent (non-native)

Unread post by Níall Beag »

miguel wrote:I write and read much more better than I hear. Is that normal ?
It's very normal, but it's a heck of a lot better if you can speak and listen better than you can read and write, so I would advise you to go for it. Talk as much as you can and you'll learn both quicker and better.
Bhoniar

Unread post by Bhoniar »

miguel wrote:think I will feel very "disease" when I will try to understand and speak Gàidhlig. I write and read much more better than I hear. Is that normal ? How did you manage the first time ? :oops:

it's normal for all who are forced to learn alone and remotely, far away from other fluent and native speakers. All of us non-Scots struggle with the hindrance. Chances are that the person you talk to on skpye faces the same "trauma".

Read Gaelic articles and lessons loudly, talk to yourself, your dog, or your cat in Gaelic. Make your speaking tools, jaws, tongue, mouth, acquainted to the weird moves they have to make to form Gaelic sounds.

First time ever (three years ago? Oh my!), after months of secluded studies, was at SMO in a short course, entry level, no big deal. First time on skype a whole different story! I talked to Coinneach, or better, he talked to me as if trying to bespeak an ox to give milk.
Frustrated he shot me with his Glasgow accent and then he buried me in his native Lewis tongue.

Miracously I survived.

I think it's good to "use" people like Graisg, Steapan, Coinneach, or Mike McKay (of you're an American), who are fluent and used to learners. Try to intermingle those humbling experiences with talking to learners like you are. Not every fluent speaker has the patience to wait you out until you have finished constructing one sentence with eight words (most likely wrong anyway). They may start to babble away, which is a good thing, otherwise they may have fallen asleep before you finished your next paragraph!
Leaners may not be able to teach you speak a better Gaelic, but they are good to gain practice.

The more you speak the better you will become. Try it!
Coinneach Cìr
Rianaire

Bhoniar wrote:I talked to Coinneach, or better, he talked to me as if trying to bespeak an ox to give milk.
Frustrated he shot me with his Glasgow accent and then he buried me in his native Lewis tongue.
I'd just like to say that's one of the funniest things I've ever read :lol: :lol:
In my defence my Glasgow accent is only in English, I have heard some people speak Gàidhlig with a Glasgow accent but I'm not one of them....
Màiri

Conversations via Skype

Unread post by Màiri »

Hi, Everyone,

I'm sad that I missed the Skype conversation will all of you. Have just gotten back on the Fòram after a couple of grueling months changing jobs. My new job feels great, my new bosses are intelligent and energetic, and the projects that I'll be involved with are exciting. Did not miss a beat with my Gaelic lesson plans but, missed out on this. :(

I hope that this first session went well and that you all will consider doing it again.

Till next time - Beannachd leibh.
GunChleoc
Rianaire

Fàilte air ais! :D

I'll be pretty much out of it myself until the beginning of next month.
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
Coinneach Cìr
Rianaire

Sunday evenings (British time) are probably the best time to catch me on Skype. If Skype is open and my status is set to not available I'll probably be in the office, but if you have a Gaelic related query as opposed to just wanting a chat ping me anyway and I'll do what I can :)
GunChleoc
Rianaire

Tha mi an dùil gum bi mi ann an deireadh-seachdaine seo. Cha bhi mi ann an ath oidhche co-dhiù. Nì mi partaidh còmhla ris na càirdean Image
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam