Learn Gaelic @ Sith!

Deasbaid air cùrsaichean chànain amsaa. / Anything about language courses etc.
Gràisg
Rianaire
Language Level: Caran robach sna laithean seo

Learn Gaelic @ Sith!

Unread post by Gràisg »

Sith Cafe is launching its first Gaelic classes using the internationally acclaimed language learning system Ulpan. The 36 week course is aimed at beginners – and it is a practical as it gets! You will learn to speak the language as it is used. If you have learnt some Gaelic previously, the first few lessons will be excellent reinforcement. The course involves two lessons a week, Monday 7pm – 8.30pm and Wednesday at 7pm – 8.30pm.In total there will be 72 units at 1.5 hours each, the cost of the course works out at £3.70 an hour – that's pretty good! Cost: £400 (You may use ILA to cover £200) Payment and ILA vouchers will be taken on the first night.Start Date: Monday the 9th February 2009 @ 7pmLocation: Sith Cafe, 459 Dumbarton Road, Partick, Glasgow, G11 6EJTutor: Rhoda Meek (registered Ulpan Tutor) If you are interested in signing up, or want to find out more please email rhoda@sithcafe.com, or call 07500 113 227. There are 14 places up for grabs – first come first served! Free tea and coffee will be available to spur you on...you'll be chatting away in Gaelic in no time at all!

faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

Now we know Graisg as one of thse who is not at all convinced of Fionnlaigh's TIP methodology (and the Till community), so you had better all figure out what the difference is to this Ulpan that he is telling us about here before the next interesting round. 8-)

Here's a start:

http://news.scotsman.com/gaeliclanguage ... 2807864.jp

and here:

https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A ... -B&P=59151

and on its effectiveness for learning Hebrew, it's raison d'etre, to compare with likely effectiveness for Gaelic:

http://www.omniglot.com/blog/2008/11/10 ... ng-hebrew/

I would be very pleased if tutors or learners from both systems would come on here and give us some feedback.

There is a great deal of theory on here. Where is the proof through practice?
Gràisg
Rianaire
Language Level: Caran robach sna laithean seo

Unread post by Gràisg »

Great minds think alike Faoileag :D
This morning I put up something about 'Ulpan in Israel' over in Gun Chuspair.

I was taught some Breton through Ulpan in Rennes, they weren't strictly sticking to the syllabus though and teachers had quite a bit of freedom to do their own thing. I must also confess to attending a training course to teach Ulpan in Gaelic but I decided not to continue - just wasn't for me (not enough brain cells still working the main problem perhaps) However, good luck to Ulpan and all who teach and learn from it. TIP too, - I've never seem TIP in action up to now, but hopefully soon I might learn a bit more about it.

I agree Faoileag let's hear from tutors and learners
Níall Beag
Rianaire
Language Level: Fluent (non-native)
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Níall Beag »

faoileag wrote:Now we know Graisg as one of thse who is not at all convinced of Fionnlaigh's TIP methodology (and the Till community), so you had better all figure out what the difference is to this Ulpan that he is telling us about here before the next interesting round. 8-)
Those sparkling words of praise weren't Gràisg's -- he just copied and posted a press release.

Gràisg -- I suggest that in future you use the "quote" tags to mark off press releases, press cuttings etc. In fact, you might even want to edit your previous post just to make it clear.

But as for Gràisg being against TIP... what? Faoileag, which forum have <i>you</i> been reading, and who is this imposter who has stolen Gràisg's handle, cos that Gràisg has actually stuck up for Fionnlaigh on a few occassions when the rest of us have been ripping into him....
Níall Beag
Rianaire
Language Level: Fluent (non-native)
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Níall Beag »

Faoileag,
Thanks for the links.

You may also be interested in a couple of videos listed on Cli Gàidhlig's Ùlpan site.

One is a short clip of a class (and is quite uninspiring) and the second is 4 students who have all previously studied Gaelic, and who have only been on the course a short time, saying how it's better than everything else they've tried because it gets quicker results. Of course, they can't account for the stuff they already know, which the course builds on....
faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

Níall Beag wrote:[
But as for Gràisg being against TIP... what? Faoileag, which forum have <i>you</i> been reading, and who is this imposter who has stolen Gràisg's handle, cos that Gràisg has actually stuck up for Fionnlaigh on a few occassions when the rest of us have been ripping into him....
I dind't say he was against it, only that he was not convinced (which I think his posts indicate) and was keen on getting answers to questions etc. So when Ulpan seemed to be getting an unquestioning recommendation, I thought I'd pick up on it, in a tongue-in-cheek sort of way (note the 8-) ), while encouraging further discussion.

I am actually glad Graisg has been sticking up for Fionnlagh, as F. means well and has the future of Gaelic at heart, and is himself not as tuned into the 'rapier wit' :spors: of this board as he would need to be, whether one agrees with his opinions and strategies or not.

Anyway, back to Ulpan, and thanks for the link, which I will look at later.