Boys will be Boys

Thèid a h-uile iarrtais eadar-theangachaidh air imrich a-bhos an-seo. Ma bhios thu seachd sgìth dhaibh, na rach ann an-seo.
doyle_no1

Help!

Unread post by doyle_no1 »

Okay, So I'm new to the Gaelic thing, and I'm really wanting help. My brother died back at the start of the year, and I'm looking to get a t*tt** saying "Boys will be Boys" but in Scottish Gaelic.

Is anyone able to help me with a simple tr*nsl*t**n?

Cheers

doyle_no1

Boys will be Boys

Unread post by doyle_no1 »

How do I say "boys will be boys" in Scottish Gaelic.

Cheers
eideard
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Re: Boys will be Boys

Unread post by eideard »

doyle_no1 wrote:How do I say "boys will be boys" in Scottish Gaelic.
The two most common Gaelic words for boys are gillean and balaich. For "Boys will be boys" I would say "Bithidh gillean na ghillean" or "Bithidh balaich na bhalaich." You can also substitute "bidh" for "bithidh" in these phrases, depending on how much space you have.

Others on the forum may have other suggestions.
Gràisg
Rianaire
Language Level: Caran robach sna laithean seo

Unread post by Gràisg »

Hi Eideard, I would be inclined to use 'nan' & 'nam'. The problem here for Doyle is that it is better for him to consult a native speaker. There is often a more natural way of saying somthing that learners might not have the full grasp of. Do you use bidh or bithidh for example. 'Boys will be boys' is an modern english phrase, is there a gaelic proverb that does the job just as well?

Not everyone likes to give translations for tats however, for various reasons. The thing to remember is if you are going to put some gaelic on your body make sure it makes sense to native speakers.

Actually Colin Mark has Bidh balaich nam balaich in his dictionary lol
Check it out...
http://books.google.com/books?id=9LvrxO ... fp0cJbcDRM
eideard

Unread post by eideard »

Gràisg wrote:Hi Eideard, I would be inclined to use 'nan' & 'nam'. The problem here for Doyle is that it is better for him to consult a native speaker. There is often a more natural way of saying somthing that learners might not have the full grasp of. Do you use bidh or bithidh for example. 'Boys will be boys' is an modern english phrase, is there a gaelic proverb that does the job just as well?
Actually Colin Mark has Bidh balaich nam balaich in his dictionary lol
Check it out...
Tha mi duilich. I went straight from the singular (balach) to the plural (balaich) without changing the prepositional pronoun. If I'd stopped to think about it I probably would have got it right, but you're right, if I'd checked Colin Mark's dictionary I wouldn't even have needed to think about it. :naire:
eideard

Unread post by eideard »

Gràisg wrote: The problem here for Doyle is that it is better for him to consult a native speaker. ................

..............The thing to remember is if you are going to put some gaelic on your body make sure it makes sense to native speakers..........
Just out of curiosity, how many native speakers are there on this forum?
Gràisg
Rianaire
Language Level: Caran robach sna laithean seo

Unread post by Gràisg »

Tha Coinneach againn :) A bheil duine sam bith eile ann? Ma dh'faoidte gu bheil 'lurkers' againn ge-tà.
If I'd checked Colin Mark's dictionary I wouldn't even have needed to think about it.
Seadh, 's e goireas air leth a th'ann nach e?
Coinneach Cìr
Rianaire
Language Level: Fileanta

Unread post by Coinneach Cìr »

Tha mise an seo ceart gu leòr!! :farmad: (I'm here for sure)
I've not heard "Bidh balaich nam balaich" before but it does make sense.