Às-earrann à labhairt Fionn, Òraid do na Gàidheil, 1908

Càil sam bith eile / Anything else
An Gobaire
Language Level: Fileanta
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Às-earrann à labhairt Fionn, Òraid do na Gàidheil, 1908

Unread post by An Gobaire »

"Cuimhnich orra-san a thig nad dhèidh is dèan buil cheart de na fhuair thu, oir ma leigeas tu a dholaidh an oighreachd luachmhor seo, èiridh ginealach as do dhèidh a mhallaicheas tu airson mar a chuir thu a dhìth oighreachd 'Chlann nan Gàidheal'."
'S e seo pìos à òraid a chaidh a liubhairt ann an 1908. THog mi à seann iris Ghairm e. Tha e bruidhinn ris na Gàidheil, 's gam faochnadh (a' cur ìmpidh orra) gun a bhith a' leagail seachad na Gàidhlig.

Dè ur barailean air an earrann seo? A bheil e brosnachail nur barail-sa? No an e rabhadh a th' ann? 'S toil leam fhìn am facal "Oighreachd" ga cleachdadh air an dòigh seo. Tha e nochdadh brìgh eile air an fhacail sin a tha suathadh ri brìgh an fhacail "dùthchas".

Dèan buil cheart de na fhuair thu!
Frangag
Language Level: Just above Beginner

Re: Às-earrann à labhairt Fionn, Òraid do na Gàidheil, 1908

Unread post by Frangag »

I’ve translated this post and wonder if someone would check it for me. I’m not sure of all the grammar in detail and I don’t know why Fionn has a capital, so would like to know why. This was a really good exercise for me and the kind of thing I love! Any pointers to similar short posts would be appreciated.

Quote from an (?fine) oration , address to the Gaels

“Remember those who came before and make the most of what you have received, because if you allow the precious heritage to fall into decay, there will rise a generation after you who will curse you on account of your discarding of an inheritance (The Children of the Gaels).”

There is here a part of a speech delivered in 1908. I lifted it from an old periodical ‘Ghairm’ (?Convener). It was given in Gaelic to the Gaels and is for me a very earnest request (giving them encouragement/putting pressure on them) not to destroy (?abandon) Gaelic.

What are your opinions on this extract? Was it an encouraging/rousing point of view at the time? Or was it a warning ? I myself like to use the word heritage in this way. It reveals anothern meaning of that word which touches on an interpretation of the word ‘hereditary’.
poor_mouse
Language Level: beginner

Unread post by poor_mouse »

"a thig nad dhèidh" - who will come after you.
Eilidh -- Luchag Bhochd
Frangag
Language Level: Just above Beginner

Unread post by Frangag »

Tapadh leat - I'll hopefully now remember - or not - that 'thig' is also future!!!
Zwalla28
Language Level: Tha mo ionnsachadh gun deireadh

Unread post by Zwalla28 »

That verb is irregular, yes. Thig is the future and "thàinig" is the past tense/"came".
Bhiodh gaol agam oirbh gu bràth, ma cheartaicheadh sibh na mearachdan sa' phost os cionn!
Sgeul aigeantach mòr ri linn,
Gu'm bi neart, agus ceart, mar ri treòir,
Do'n fhear sheasas còir an rìgh.
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach

Unread post by GunChleoc »

The name of the periodical is "Gairm" - it looks like the original writer has put it into the genitive according to the rules for proper names (cf. "taigh Sheumais"). I would leave this untranslated.
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam