Holistic Language Revitalisation in Hawaii

Càil sam bith eile / Anything else
Gràisg
Rianaire
Language Level: Caran robach sna laithean seo

Holistic Language Revitalisation in Hawaii

Unread post by Gràisg »

'The ‘Aha Pūnana Leo, best known for our Language Nest Preschools, is the leading entity in Hawai‘i and the United States for indigenous language revitalization. In the past twenty years, the ‘Aha Pūnana Leo has moved the Hawaiian language from a population with less than forty children speakers to one with over 2,000 children speakers. ‘Aha Pūnana Leo is committed to use of the Hawaiian language at all times—in ‘Aha Pūnana Leo programs, from preschools to graduate school, and from canoe sailing lessons to contemporary computerized offices. The ‘Aha Pūnana Leo is an active partner in the community—both the Native Hawaiian community and the broader multiracial community of Hawai‘i, fostering academic, social and economic progress. The organization's reach expands beyond the Hawaiian Islands to other indigenous communities, especially other Native American communities, where the ‘Aha Pūnana Leo model is assisting other peoples in their efforts to save their languages from extinction. We remain committed and focused on our vision, E ola ka ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i, the Hawaiian language shall live.'

http://www.ahapunanaleo.org/eng/index.html