What Made You Want To Learn Gàidhlig?

Càil sam bith eile / Anything else
Thrissel
Language Level: eadar-mheadhanach

Re: What Made You Want To Learn Gàidhlig?

Unread post by Thrissel »

Ay, but you forget that I reacted to Teddie's "Also, my teacher has never used the gaelic accents in class, so i'm not sure whether she is going to teach us them later (though i can't see a reason for this)." I wanted to tell him that there is a reason to learn accents in Gaelic, even though his teacher might not use them. Although now I think about it... for somebody who doesn't capitalize in English anyway, maybe there isn't...

FiachraÓL

Unread post by FiachraÓL »

tapadh leat, a h-akerbeltz :farmad:

In my own opinion, I think the accents should be taught and used... unless for informal sort of stuff... like facebook chat, or on here for example. As in english, capitals and stuff should be taught, and used for formal stuff.... but for informal, spel howevar ya loyk, if yiz kno wat eye meen.

In Scots Gaelic, do the accents change the sounds that the vowels make, as in Irish ?
akerbeltz
Rianaire
Language Level: Barail am broinn baraille
Corrections: Please don't analyse my Gaelic

Unread post by akerbeltz »

Yes, they do, as a rule of thumb they indicate length.
Thrissel

FiachraÓL wrote:spel howevar ya loyk, if yiz kno wat eye meen.?
Catherine Soanes wrote:misspellings are distracting or tend to make people irritated, and so the thrust of what you’re saying is diminished or gets lost completely.
akerbeltz
Rianaire
Language Level: Barail am broinn baraille
Corrections: Please don't analyse my Gaelic

Unread post by akerbeltz »

I am the first person to slate typos on roadsigns, printed materials and so on where a little bit extra effort could have prevented this kind of nonsense. BUT a couple of things to think about

- having a native speaker as a teacher is a privilege these days which not everyone has. I would recommend you learn all you can from them without arguing over their in-class spelling or non-use of the dative case. You can always look up the right spelling at home and re-inforce what you learned. Arguing with the teacher in such a case is counter-productive. Your teacher may well be aware/embarrassed of the fact their spelling is shaky but there are no CPD course one can take, on the whole. If you met the Dalai Lama, would you argue about his peculiar English?
- Often there is no single right answer as to how to spell something. àrd/ard, aobhar/adhbhar, brùthadh/bruthadh, mór/mòr ... and so on are all legitimate spellings depending on what school of spelling you follow, like color and colour. As a learner one favours simple answers but there often aren't any, especially not in a language like Gaelic. You're better often learning a little flexibility sooner rather than later.
faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

I agree 100%.

I think that is a topic worthy of a separate thread. so I'll answee it here but also start a new one using this answer, on Learners and Native-speakers . (Please add general comments for that topic THERE, not here - mòran taing!

A non-native teacher who has actually studied Gaelic grammar and spelling can give you that fine - accuracy at 'book' level - but the idiomatic range, the pronunciation (including the melody) and the gut-feeling reactions like "yes, you can say that / no you can't / actually I'd say it this way.." - that is all irreplaceable and worth solid gold.

Natives are often accused of being unhelpful to learners, but usually this is due to a sense of inadequacy in themselves as regards 'their Gaelic'. How often have I heard: 'Oh I don't have good Gaelic, I never learned it, I'd be no help to you, you probably know more than I do etc etc'. Occasionally it somes out a bit disdainful - 'Who taught you that?', but the reason is probably the same.

Be patient, be grateful, reasssure them, if necessary play down the importance you yourself put on grammar / correctness etc. 'That's schoolbook Gaelic - I want the real thing! That's what only you can give me.'

Get them to say phrases to you, get them to pull you up on pronunciation, laugh with them about your inadequacy.

Never put them on the spot. Don't ask them 'why' something is, or how to spell it. Win their trust.

I wish in Scotland we could have more of what comes across as the 'respectful inclusion' you seem to find in Cape Breton with the concept of elderly native speakers being honoured as 'elders' and brought (physically) into the events and processes of the culture-and-learning Gaelic world. The fluent learners there seem to have picked up far more of the idiomatic expression and accents of those elders than fluent learners I know in Scotland, who in many cases are highly competent high-register users (and all credit to them for that) but with little local colour.
MacCoinnich79
Language Level: Intermediate

Unread post by MacCoinnich79 »

Dh' ionnsaich mi 's a Ghàidhlig a chionn bha Gàidhlig aig mo sheanair. Bha e à Geàrrloch agus phòs e mo sheanmhair, bha i à Dùn Èideann agus chan eil Gàidhlig oirre idir idir. Chleachd iad 's a Bheurla ann an taigh agus cho bha i càillte. Bu thoil le m' athair Gàidhlig dh' ionnsachadh ach cha do rinn e riamh. Bha e glè glè thoilichte nuair a thoisich mi g' ionnsachadh. Tha mi 'n dòchas gum bi mi fileanta anns an àm ri teachd agus cuiridh mi 'm fios air mo nigheannan. Sin e! :)

I learned Gaelic because my Grandfather had it. He was from Gairloch and married my Gran who was from Edinburgh and didn't have Gaelic at all. They used English in the house so it was lost. My father would like to learn it but he never did. He was delighted when I started learning it. I hope in the future I will be fluent and I'll pass it on to my daughters. That's it!
Thrissel

Seonaidh wrote:'S toil leam sin! Tha "Asterix ym Mhrydain" agam - leabhar sgoinneil sa Chuimris agus annsa tha a h-uile Ceilt à (an-diugh) Sasainn a' bruidhinn sa Chuimris mar a dh'fheuchadh Sasannach Cuimris fhuaimneachadh. Mar eisimpleir "Y Thlawen Faedd" seach "Y Baedd Llawen". (An Torc Toilichte)
Tha e coltach gum bi na Cruithnich 's na Seann Fhrangaich a' bruidhinn sa Ghàidhlig cuideachd aig a cheann thall:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-23088039
Eadar dà sgeul, a bheil fios aig duine cò rinn an t-eadar-theanagachadh?
Last edited by Thrissel on Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Chan eil ach tha mi toilichte gum bidh tionndadh Gàidhlig ann! :D

@MacConnich: Nach math gu bheil d' athair a' toirt taic dhut - isn't it good that your father supports you :D

Ceartachadh no dhà:

Chan eil Gàidhlig aice

Chleachd iad a' Bheurla anns an taigh agus mar sin bha i caillte
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
MacCoinnich79
Language Level: Intermediate

Unread post by MacCoinnich79 »

Taing a-rithist GunChleoc

I know the difference between aig and air. I have no idea why I am confusing the two. I shouldn't be making mistakes like that.

Tha mi ag ionnsachadh rud ùr bho gach post.
GunChleoc
Rianaire

'S math seo a chluinntinn :)

And don't worry too much about the mistakes, they do happen and you will make tons more of them.
Na dealbhan agam
Nahimov
Language Level: beginner
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Nahimov »

'S toigh leam na leabhraichean "Kidnapped" agus "Catriona" le R. L. Stevenson gu mòr. :leugh:
GunChleoc
Rianaire

'S toil agus leamsa :)
Na dealbhan agam
faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

Agus leamsa! :priob:
Nahimov
Language Level: beginner
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Nahimov »

'S math sin :D

Tha mi ag aisling air siubhal
An siubhal "David Balfour" )
An t-Eilean Muileach, Morbhairne, Apainn, Ben Eallair, Loch Eirechd, Loch Raineach, Both Chuidir, Uisge For(Abhainn Duibh)

Bha mi ag'iarraidh cur mapa, ach cha b'urrainn dhomh...