What Made You Want To Learn Gàidhlig?

Càil sam bith eile / Anything else
CelticSpice
Language Level: Toisichear

What Made You Want To Learn Gàidhlig?

Unread post by CelticSpice »

Halò. :)

Uill, freagairibh a' cheist. :P

Bha mi ag iarraidh ionnsachadh Gàidhlig oir Bha mi ag iarraidh ceangail leis mo shinnsireachd Albannach. Clann Burns (Caimbeul, mo dh'fhaoidte?). :)

Hello.

Well, answer the question.

I wanted to learn Gàidhlig because I wanted to connect with my Scottish ancestry. Clan Burns (Campbell, perhaps?).

poor_mouse
Language Level: beginner
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Re: What Made You Want To Learn Gàidhlig?

Unread post by poor_mouse »

Rinn mi eadar-theangachaidhean Ruiseanais de na dàin Beurla sam bith; agus an dèidh sin bha mi air tionndadh gu (?) Bàrdachd Gàidhlig.
I translated some English poems into Russian, and later turned to the Gaelic poetry.

Uill, agus 's e daoine air choireigin a tha ann a chuir mi air an rathad seo :)
Well, there are also some people that put mi on this way.

Chan eil deagh Ghàidhlig agam fhathast gu dearbh, ach tha an cànan sin glè inntinneach cia-tà!
In fact, my Gaelic is poor yet, but this language is very interesting!

'S toil leam gràmar cuideachd; agus is fìor thoil leam gràmar na Gàidhlig.
I like grammar too, and I'm really fond of Gaelic grammar.
Eilidh -- Luchag Bhochd
CelticSpice

Tha an cànan seo glè inntinneach gu dearbh. Tha mi cinnteach gum bi sinn ag ionnsachadh gu lèir a dh'aithghearr gu leòr cànan seo. :)

This language is very interesting indeed. I am certain that we will master this language soon enough.

I am not sure if I said that correctly. Correct me if I am wrong. I have in mind that putting "Ag Ionnsachadh (Present Participle of Learn)" in future tense together with "Gu Lèir (Entirely)" can be roughly translated as "To Master" in Beurla.
poor_mouse

Tha mi a' smaoineachadh gu bheil sin ceàrr.
I think it's wrong.

"Ag ionnsachadh" <= "aig ionnsachadh", i.e. "at learning" (it is not present participle really, but verbal noun with preposition); so for the perfect tense we need some other construction, for example with "air" instead of "ag" (ionnsachadh or something else).

Maybe: "Bidh sinn air an cànan seo ionnsachadh gu lèir"?
Ach chan eil mi cinnteach. But I am not sure.

It would be easier to say:
Tha mi 'n dòchas (tha thu cinnteach) gum bi deagh Ghàidhlig againn a dh'aithghearr.
Eilidh -- Luchag Bhochd
CelticSpice

Tha mi a' tuigsinn. Tha mi air an nì (?) ionnsachadh. Tapadh leat!
I understand. I have learned something (a thing?). Thank you!

I'm definitely more of a beginner than you are. :lol:
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach

Unread post by GunChleoc »

The word order with ag ionnsachadh would be: ... ag ionnsachadh a' chànain seo a dh'aithghearr. Thais is for "soon", I'm not sure about "soon enough" = a dh'aithghearr gu leòr, if one talks like that. a' chànain is the genitive of an cànan, because it follows ionnsachadh, which is a noun.

There are some people = tha feadhainn ann.
There is somebody = Tha cuideigin ann.

Uill, chaidh mise gu cuirm-ciùil Runrig agus dh'fhoghainn seo :lol:
Well, I went to a runrig concert and that was it
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
CelticSpice

Tapadh leat, GunChleoc! I knew something didn't feel right about that one. :lol:
What about the "Master" part though? How would I say, "...Master this language soon?" Would I say it in a normal ionnsachadh way? As I said before, I had in mind that gu lèir with ionnsachadh would make it out to relay something like that. :?

Runrig, eh? I've heard of them before. I hear they're quite popular. How long ago was this? :)

Bhithinn air an sin a sgrìobhadh ann an Gàidhlig, but I don't know how exactly yet.
I would have written that in Gàidhlig,
Seonaidh
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Seonaidh »

Minor point - you probably don't need "an", i.e. "Bhithinn air sin a sgrìobhadh ann an Gàidhlig". "an sin" could be interpreted as "there" - not that there's a vast difference in meaning. Also, while not de rigueur, one often refers to "the Gaelic" rather than just "Gaelic" in Gaelic (and, indeed, with other languages also), so the ending might be better as "sa Ghàidhlig". Your next task: decipher and comprehend the following, then demonstrate by using a similar example of the conditional:- "Sgrìobhinn sin sa Ghàidhlig".

Oh, why did I set about getting to grips with Gaelic? I moved to Scotland.
GunChleoc
Rianaire

CelticSpice wrote:Tapadh leat, GunChleoc! I knew something didn't feel right about that one. :lol:
What about the "Master" part though? How would I say, "...Master this language soon?" Would I say it in a normal ionnsachadh way? As I said before, I had in mind that gu lèir with ionnsachadh would make it out to relay something like that. :?
I was thinking "faigh làmh an uchdair air", but that's maybe not quite the right expression. Bi math air (be good at) would be appropriate I think.
CelticSpice wrote:Runrig, eh? I've heard of them before. I hear they're quite popular. How long ago was this? :)
Bha seo o chionn mu shia bliadhna

That was about 6 years ago
Na dealbhan agam
AlasdairBochd
Language Level: Fear-ionnsachaidh fad beatha

Unread post by AlasdairBochd »

Hi GC. Dè tha dol sa Cholaiste? :smeid:
"luath" is often used for "soon". Thig sin gu luath - That will come quickly (soon) or Thig sin luath gu leòr - That will come quick enough. :)
CelticSpice

Seonaidh wrote:Minor point - you probably don't need "an", i.e. "Bhithinn air sin a sgrìobhadh ann an Gàidhlig". "an sin" could be interpreted as "there" - not that there's a vast difference in meaning. Also, while not de rigueur, one often refers to "the Gaelic" rather than just "Gaelic" in Gaelic (and, indeed, with other languages also), so the ending might be better as "sa Ghàidhlig". Your next task: decipher and comprehend the following, then demonstrate by using a similar example of the conditional:- "Sgrìobhinn sin sa Ghàidhlig".

Oh, why did I set about getting to grips with Gaelic? I moved to Scotland.
Tha mi a' tuigsinn. Tapadh leat. And you want me to tr*nsl*t* Sgrìobhinn sin sa Ghàidhlig and then make a similar sentence using a conditional? I'll do my best.

Sgrìobhinn sin sa Ghàidhlig = I would write that in (the) Gaelic?

As for my construction:
Sheasainn sa (anns an?) t-seòmar sin.
I would stand in that room.

How did I do?

And you moved to Scotland? From where, may I ask?

GunChleoc wrote:I was thinking "faigh làmh an uchdair air", but that's maybe not quite the right expression. Bi math air (be good at) would be appropriate I think.

Glè mhath. I'll use "bi math air" from now on then.

GunChleoc wrote:Bha seo o chionn mu shia bliadhna

That was about 6 years ago
6 years ago? I just started about a year ago using online resources and one book which I found to not be as helpful as I had hoped, http://www.celticmoment.com/colloquial-scottish-gaelic/. I'm thinking about finding some classes though. How did you learn Gàidhlig?

AlasdairBochd wrote:"luath" is often used for "soon". Thig sin gu luath - That will come quickly (soon) or Thig sin luath gu leòr - That will come quick enough.
Mòran taing, AlasdairBochd! Really helpful!
GunChleoc
Rianaire

Chan eil fios agam dè tha a' dol sa cholaiste air sgàth 's gu bheil saor-làithean samhraidh ann an-dràsda agus chaidh mo thilgeadh a-mach às an t-seòmar agam.
I don't know what's going on at the college because it's the summer break and they kicked me out of my room.

in that room - san t-seòmar sin / anns an t-seòmar sin are both correct. san is short form for anns an, sa for anns a'.

Dh'ionnsaich mi le goireasan air loidhne agus le leabhar beag sa Ghearmailtis. A bharrachd air sin, fhuair mi clasaichean deireadh-seachdaine sa Ghearmailt bho àm gu àm. An uair sin, rinn mi An Cùrsa Adhartais leis an t-Sabhal Mhòr agus tha mi an siud a-nis ag ionnsachadh làn thìde.
I learned with online resources ans a little German language book. In addition, I got weekend classes sometimes in Germany. After that, I did the Cùrsa Adhartais with SMO and am now learning full time there.
Na dealbhan agam
poor_mouse

GunChleoc wrote:There are some people = tha feadhainn ann.
There is somebody = Tha cuideigin ann.
Mòran taing!
Uill, "tha feadhainn ann a chuir mi air an rathad seo", ma tha.
Eilidh -- Luchag Bhochd
Seonaidh
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Seonaidh »

Bot nad, a Spìosradh Cheilteach. GC's already pointed out the "san" rather than "sa" (when there's a t or d following, use "san" for "anns an" rather than "sa" for "anns a'"). Whence came I? Well, there's a minor county by the Scottish Borders called "Englandshire" and thus my provenance. It forms a narrow land-bridge between Scotland and Wales.
faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

Chanainnsa 'tràth gu leòr' air 'soon enough' = early enough.
No 'luath gu leòr', mar a thuirt Alastair.

'Master':

- bidh comas Gàidhlig math againn - we will have good competence in G.
- bidh e comasach dhuinn, Gàidhlig a chleachdadh gu math - we'll be capable of using G. well.
- gheibh sinn a' chuid as fheàrr dhith - we will get the better of it ('her', Gaelic is feminine)
- bidh sinn na caraibh - we will get to grips with it ('her') / it will be at our command (maybe a bit dated)