Beagan Sgudail as a'Chaithness Courier

Na tha a' tachairt ann an saoghal na Gàidhlig agus na pàipearan-naidheachd / What's happening in the Gaelic world and the newspapers
Gràisg
Rianaire
Language Level: Caran robach sna laithean seo

Beagan Sgudail as a'Chaithness Courier

Unread post by Gràisg »

"I WAS surprised to find there is no longer any provision for teaching Gaelic in primary schools in Thurso. Taught at Mount Pleasant a few years back, the demand was poor and of the few parents who wished their children to learn the language I believe some, strangely, were English couples who had no knowledge of Gaelic themselves.

I can see the logic of offering the language in areas of the Highlands and Islands where Gaelic is widely spoken but not here in Caithness where children would start as early as nursery school and have little or no opportunity to speak Gaelic outside the classroom.

Have any Gaelic words been borrowed to enhance the English language? We have plundered French to acquire words or phrases that have no English equivalent such as nom de plume, panache, café, restaurant, bon viveur etc but, perversely, the French do use all of them in the sense as we do."

"It has never been clear whether it is policy that we should have bilingual street signs. The situation has not arisen yet because the council failed to replace any missing or worn signs although new streets where building has recently taken place have only English wording."

Tuilleadh an seo:
http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/Fea ... 082011.htm
Around with Rowe by Leslie Rowe - seadh, mu thimchioll - mu thimchioll chearcaill aineolas nad inntinn Leslie a ghràidh

Cò fhads as aithne dhomhsa cha robh tidsear ri fhaighinn a bha deònach a dhol ann leis an upraid a bha feadhainn den 13% ud a dhèanamh. 'Nach ann mar sin a thàinig an iomairt gu crich? Agus soidhnichean dà-chananach air sràidean ùra? Nach bu choir do sin a' tachairt sa uile bad den Gàidhealtachd. Thachair e ann an Inbhir Narann co-dhiù. Saoil am bu choir dhuinn freagairt a chur air duilleig Leslie choir no a bheil e fada nas fheàrr ga fhagail rèidh toilichte ciùin na h-aineòlach?