Please can you help me tr*nsl*t* this?

Thèid a h-uile iarrtais eadar-theangachaidh air imrich a-bhos an-seo. Ma bhios thu seachd sgìth dhaibh, na rach ann an-seo.
richtea
Language Level: None

Please can you help me tr*nsl*t* this?

Unread post by richtea »

Hi,

I'm wondering if you can help me with a tr*nsl*t**n from English to Scottish Gaelic, as I can't seem to find a scottish gaelic tr*nsl*t*r online.

My friend is getting a t*tt** and she is wanting it translated into Scottish Gaelic.

She is wanting the phrase 'Shit happens, deal with it'. - I have the following; 'cac tarladh, dean gnothach ri leis-san'

or 'cac tarlaidh deilig comhla ri e'

Please can you tell me if either of these are correct?

Thank you so much.

Seonaidh
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Re: Please can you help me tr*nsl*** this?

Unread post by Seonaidh »

Yes, I can.
Thrissel
Language Level: eadar-mheadhanach

Unread post by Thrissel »

Neither (chan eil comharran-litreach aca).
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Shit happens is such a typically English phrase, I'm stumped.

How about you try a professional tr*nsl*t**n service?

http://www.facal.co.uk/gaelic_tr*nsl*t**n.html

http://akerbeltz.com/information.htm

http://scottishquality.com/Gaelic-t*ns ... rvice.html
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
richtea

Unread post by richtea »

Thanks for letting me know.

Thrissel, did you say you could help?

Is there anything similar to shit happens, even though it is a typically english phrase?

Thanks so much
akerbeltz
Rianaire
Language Level: Barail am broinn baraille
Corrections: Please don't analyse my Gaelic

Unread post by akerbeltz »

I assume she's doing the t*tt** herself using a grammaphone needle and some shoe polish? Or, if she'd rather trust a pro with the needle, then why would she trust a forum post for the tr*nsl*t**n? Both tattooing and tr*nsl*t**n are skilled jobs and tattoos are for life!
richtea

Unread post by richtea »

As mentioned, the t*tt** is for my friend, not for me.. I'm just trying to help her out as she is not so good with computers!

No worries, I appreciate your help.

If there is a similar phrase in Gaelic though, I would appreciate you letting me know.

Maybe something along the lines of 'bad things happen in life but we have to deal with them and move on' ?

Thanks again.
richtea

Unread post by richtea »

Or, if there is a saying that is similar to c'est la vie or that's life?
faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

Please don't put your poor friend at the mercy of learners (and strangers) and risk a permanent disfigurement!
I would be feeling pretty murderous if you did that to me!

Use the links you were given and ask a professional, for a small sum and sense of security.
(And help support minority-language native-speakers in being able to earn a living without leaving their community!)
sr3nitygirl

Unread post by sr3nitygirl »

Maybe I'm just weird or something, but... (oh, here she goes..)

While I certainly appreciate the appeal of a nice t****o, I never quite understand why people continue to have phrases done in a language that they really don't know.
Do they think that having a Gaelic phrase sprawling over their back or down their leg is somehow "cool" or makes then appear "cool"?

What's the point of having something written that people then have to keep asking you what it means (assuming they care in the first place)?
Or maybe that's just it... it's an attention grabber and therefore a conversation starter that makes the owner appear "interesting" (in a Michael Caine kind of way!!!) :P

It reminds me of a long time back when, on a business trip from Aberdeen to Norway, one of the people in our small party was determined to get a hold of (as he put it) "a Norwegian Language T-Shirt". He went from shop to shop in Bergen and didn't find anything (as far as I recall). When asked why, he replied "because it'll look cool".

Seriously, each to his or her own, but isn't that just setting yourself up for something potentially embarrassing?

It would amuse me to imagine him walking down Union Street in Aberdeen on a Saturday afternoon, with a T-Shirt that said "I am a complete and utter numpty" in Norwegian :)