Gaidhlig for Stephen

Ciamar a chanas mi.... / How do I say...
SaorAlba
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Gaidhlig for Stephen

Unread post by SaorAlba »

I was wondering if anyone could help.

I have been looking for the Gaidhlig equivalent of Stephen and i have found three possible spellings of it, Steaphan, Steafan and Stiophan.

Which one should i use? A pronunciation of it would help too.

Any help would be much apreciated.

Mòran taing. :farmad:

Stìophan

Unread post by Stìophan »

I prefer Stìophan as it sounds less 'Germanic', but I think Steaphan is more common and modern version of the name.

Stìophan is the version that appears in the Bible (although I'm NOT religious!)

Steafan, I think is an Irish spelling (Steafán to be correct) - although I'm not ruling it out, but traditionally f is rare in the middle/end of a Gaelic word.

in terms of pronounciation Steaphan/Steafan would be SH-TCHEFFan and Stiophan is correctly SH-TCHEEFFan, although a lot of speakers just pronounce it as Stephen/Steven.

Hope this helps :)
SaorAlba

Thats great, thanks bud. :priob:
Stìophan

's e do bheatha a charaid! :priob:
An Gobaire
Language Level: Fileanta
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by An Gobaire »

With the advent of the Gaelic Orthographic Conventions, Steaphan became Steafan in Scottish Gaelic.

Stiofán is the correct Irish spelling of the name.
Dèan buil cheart de na fhuair thu!
Neas Olc
Language Level: Briste

Unread post by Neas Olc »

Why not go Manx and use the uberGaelic Steevyn!!!1111!!!111!!!! :lol:
Cèid
Language Level: Math gu leòr
Corrections: Please don't analyse my Gaelic

Unread post by Cèid »

I admit "Steevyn" looks wicked cool, but überGaelic? I don't mean to hit any tender nerves, but isn't Manx spelling the most Anglo-Saxon-like of all the Celtic languages? I mean, "Steevyn" does look at bit Old to Middle English-y, especially with the "v" and the "y" in there. (Please don't throw things at me!)

It seems to me, with my feeble grasp of Gaelic history, that any spelling with "f" in place of the original Greek phi would be more in keeping with traditional Gaelic orthography - all variations of the name ultimately derive from Greek name Stephanos, or rather Στέφανος. While I'm not sure which tr*nsl*t**n of the Bible Stìophan was referring to earlier, Στέφανος is how the name appears in the original Greek text of Acts 6:8, referring to St. Stephen, the first martyr (I even dug out my Greek-English New Testmant to make sure I typed it correctly :priob: ).
Neas Olc
Language Level: Briste

Unread post by Neas Olc »

I admit "Steevyn" looks wicked cool, but überGaelic? I don't mean to hit any tender nerves, but isn't Manx spelling the most Anglo-Saxon-like of all the Celtic languages?
I was being highly sarcastic, hence the noobesque"!!!!!111!!!!11" afterwords.
Stìophan

I personally hate the Manx spelling system for the reason it's too Anglo Saxon looking! :olc:

As for Stìophan in the Bible - I'm only taking my friend (and Gaelic teacher)'s word for it - I myself have never read the Bible and have absolutely no intention of doing so whether in Gaelic or English!

I prefer Stìophan as I've said before has a nicer sound, or should I be spelling it Stìofan now? :lol:
SaorAlba

Also guys, does anyone know what the Gaidhlig equivalent of Kidd is?

It is a Scottish surname which derives from the Dundee and Tayside area.

Tapadh leibh.
Stìophan

SaorAlba wrote:Also guys, does anyone know what the Gaidhlig equivalent of Kidd is?

It is a Scottish surname which derives from the Dundee and Tayside area.

Tapadh leibh.
Think you're in the same boat as me mate, there is NO Gaelic for the surname Kidd, from what I can find out it refers to the young of a Goat.

My surname (Horne) also doesn't have a Gaelic form, unless someone knows better than me? :priob:
SaorAlba

Kidd came from the Robertson clan and from what I have read, the Kidd's and the Robertson's were loyal to Robert the Bruce.

I didn't think that there would be a Gaidhlig equivalent of it, but since it originated up north, I wasn't sure.

Thanks anyway bud.
yellow-ceitidh

Unread post by yellow-ceitidh »

I've got a Welsh surname. So I use that for official stuff like forms, but when introducing myself I'm Ceitidh Buide... which means Yellow Ceitidh! And it's not too far from my real surname either. :D
Stìophan

SaorAlba wrote:Kidd came from the Robertson clan and from what I have read, the Kidd's and the Robertson's were loyal to Robert the Bruce.

I didn't think that there would be a Gaidhlig equivalent of it, but since it originated up north, I wasn't sure.

Thanks anyway bud.
No Problem at all mate!

Uair sam bith a charaid! 8-)
Stìophan

yellow-ceitidh wrote:I've got a Welsh surname. So I use that for official stuff like forms, but when introducing myself I'm Ceitidh Buide... which means Yellow Ceitidh! And it's not too far from my real surname either. :D
Don't mean to nit-pick here Ceitidh, but it should be Ceitidh Bhuidhe [remember - leneition after feminine nouns] :priob: