Halò!

Thèid a h-uile iarrtais eadar-theangachaidh air imrich a-bhos an-seo. Ma bhios thu seachd sgìth dhaibh, na rach ann an-seo.
alba1314
Language Level: Miniscule
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Halò!

Unread post by alba1314 »

I consider myself to be a "Displaced Scot" having lived away from my hometown of Glasgow for many years. As an ardent, nay, staunch Scotsman it has always been my one regret that I did not learn the Gaelic when I was a kid - many, many moons ago now - and I believe the last family member to speak the Auld Scots was my late Granny, who passed away before I was born.
Over the years, I have grasped a few words of my mother-tongue but not enough to converse with, regrettably.... So, in the hope of picking up some of the old language, I wonder if anyone could please tr*nsl*t* the following text into the Gaelic for me?

And Scotland calls: "Who would you fight for, if not for me?"

No-one could challenge your skills, your Heritage, your Birthright. But would you rather die as Free and Independent Scots, men women and children or live as slaves to an outdated "Union" that serves Scotland naught but last?

Stand up and be counted and vote 'YES' to a New Day, a New Dawn and a New Age for a New and Free Scotland....

Many Thanks in advance for any and all help.

faoileag
Maor

Re: Halò!

Unread post by faoileag »

Halò, Alba - fàilte an seo!

Unfortunately you're unlikely to get anyone on here in a position to turn something that long and rather poetic into a suitable style of correct Gaelic for you - most of us haven't got the language skills.

There are several reliable agencies who can certainly help, and who're not necessarily costly, and you would be helping the fledgling Gaelic economy and helping keep work in the Gaelic communities - ask these for a quote :) :

http://www.facal.co.uk/gaelic_tr*nsl*t**n.html

http://akerbeltz.com/information.htm

And why not hang around here and try to learn and practise a bit more yourself?

Links to useful sites for learning here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/alba/foghlam/learngaelic/
Beag air Bheag and some of the material on LearnGaelic are good places to start.

Gur math a thèid leat! Good luck! :D
Seonaidh

Unread post by Seonaidh »

Also, if Gaelic was your mother tongue you would be fluent in it. It is not. Your mother did not raise you as a Gaelic speaker - your mother tongue is English (or Scots if you prefer).
murchadhamac

Unread post by murchadhamac »

Feuch seo/Try this:

Is tha Alba a’ gairm: “Cò dha a nì sibh sabaisd, mura dèan sibh dhomh-sa?”

Cha seasadh neach sam bith an aghaidh ur cuid comasan, ur dhualchais, ur chòir-breithe. Ach am b’ fheàrr leibh bàsachadh mar Albannaich – fir, mnathan, is clann – saor is neo-eiseamaileach? No a bhi beò mar tràillean ann an seann ‘Aonadh’ nach buin den linn seo agus nach toir ach a’ chuid ma dheireadh do dh’ Alba?

Seasaibh is bithibh air ur tomhais, is bhòtaibh ‘Bu chòir’ gus an tig Là Ùr, Briseadh-grèine Ùr, is Linn Ùr dha Alba Ùr is Saor.