First superhero graphic novel translated into Gaelic

An toil leat ceòl, bàrdachd no ealain sam bith eile? Am faca tu rudeigin inntinneach air an TBh? Innse dhuinn air / Do you like music, poetry or any other art form? Did you see anything interesting on the telly? Tell us about it
Saltirecomics
Language Level: None.
Corrections: I'm fine either way

First superhero graphic novel translated into Gaelic

Unread post by Saltirecomics »

Saltire Ionnsaigh is the worlds first superhero graphic novel to be translated into Gaelic. Due to be launched at the Edinburgh International Book Festival on August 14th, Saltire Ionnsaigh has been translated by Raghnaid Sandilands of Asterix fame. The original English edition - Saltire Invasion was award nominated and critically acclaimed, and released in late 2013.

We hope to tr*nsl*t* each of the Saltire series into Gaelic language, and the second book Saltire Annihilation comes out in English on September 6th this year. We have been supported by the Gaelic Book Council and hope to release the next book in Gaelic by early 2015.

I hope you enjoy the series and please let me know of any questions!

Warmest regards

Clare Ferguson

Diamondsteel Comics Limited
info@diamondsteelcomics.com
www.diamondsteelcomics.com
https://www.facebook.com/saltirecomics
https://twitter.com/SaltireComics

Níall Beag
Rianaire
Language Level: Fluent (non-native)

Re: First superhero graphic novel translated into Gaelic

Unread post by Níall Beag »

Couldn't you have at least given the hero a Gaelic name? It kind of undermines the purpose of the exercise if the main character is named in English.
Saltirecomics

Saltire Ionnsaigh was originally released in English as Saltire Invasion. All the characters in the book have been renamed apart from the central character, as it is very much part of the branding of the series. Although we do understand your comments! We hope you enjoy the authenticity of the tr*nsl*t**n and the creation of a dynamic Scottish superhero. As we release the further books in the series, we will take your concerns into consideration.

Thank you for your comments!
:D
Warmest regards

Clare
Níall Beag
Rianaire
Language Level: Fluent (non-native)

Unread post by Níall Beag »

Speaking of branding, I can understand that you want "Saltire" first for branding reasons. Your tr*nsl*t*r added a colon for a reason. Writing the name without it makes it immediately look like bad Gaelic, and that's particularly bad from your brand.
Saltirecomics

Thank you.
I am not a Gaelic speaker. The book was translated into Gaelic by Raghnaid Sandilands, but I cannot bend her ear on all marketing unfortunately! I wish I could! So I do appreciate your advice. The book itself does not have this problem - all Gaelic translations have been checked by four translators and very well respected Gaelic academics, so you will not find my (or any,I hope) mistakes.
As a non-Gaelic speaker, I want to promote this book and demonstrate the respect I have for the language. Any mistakes during the promotion as purely mine, and do not reflect the excellent tr*nsl*t**n of the material.
Thank you for your advice, I will ensure I include the colon at all times!

Warmest regards

Clare
Mairead
Language Level: Intermediate
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by Mairead »

That is so awesome to see! Thanks for sharing this! Glad to see more things coming out in Gaelic.
Tha avatar agam à dhealbh aig mo phiuthar anns an Cellardyke. Tha trì videothan Ghàidhlig agam anns an Youtube.
My avatar is from a photo that my sister took in Cellardyke. I have three Gaelic videos on Youtube.
Saltirecomics

Mairead wrote:That is so awesome to see! Thanks for sharing this! Glad to see more things coming out in Gaelic.
Thank you! We are delighted with the response from the Gaelic community and hope to engage a new generation of young Gaelic speakers.