tr*nsl*t*r for SeaMonkey/Firefox

Pròiseactan mar Google in Your Language, an Uicipeid, Firefox, Thunderbird, Opera, LibreOffice/OpenOffice, phpBB, Scrabble is dearbhadairean / Projects like Google in Your Language, Wikipedia, Firefox, Thunderbird, Opera, LibreOffice/OpenOffice, phpBB, Scrabble and spell checkers
Teddie
Language Level: Beginner-Intermediate
Corrections: I'm fine either way

tr*nsl*t*r for SeaMonkey/Firefox

Unread post by Teddie »

Am bheil eadar-theangadair do SeaMonkey no Firefox? Nuair a briog mi air an facal, iarraidh mi e a'beir mi eadar-theangachadh.

I think I totally messed up that sentence, it's been a while since I wrote some Gaelic :P

I'm looking for a tr*nsl*t*r extension, ideally for SeaMonkey (though sometimes Firefox ones can work) that will give my a tr*nsl*t**n when I click a Gaelic word. Essentially like a spell-checker that also checks the spelling on the sites i'm viewing as opposed to only text i've written. Being able to just click the word for a tr*nsl*t**n would be greatly helpful as opposed to copy-pasting over to Faclair Beag.

The folks over at Lernu! have exactly the thing I was looking for, but it is specific to their site. (And obviously only for Esperanto). It is similar to the BBC Vocab tool that BBC used to have on the Gaelic news. (Has then been deprecated btw? I can't find it anymore. It was useful even though 90% of the time it didn't have translations for the words I didn't know.)

Please check my Gaelic for mistakes :)
akerbeltz
Rianaire
Language Level: Barail am broinn baraille
Corrections: Please don't analyse my Gaelic

Re: tr*nsl*t*r for SeaMonkey/Firefox

Unread post by akerbeltz »

Ok so it's a dictionary tool you're looking for rather than a machine tr*nsl*t**n tool (like Google tr*nsl*t*)? I'm not aware of anything which is site-independent and just sits in your browser - we're working on something like that but these things, as far as I know, are almost always dependent on the site you're looking at implementing a bit of code into their pages.

Or have you come across something site-independent?
Teddie

Unread post by Teddie »

Yea thats right. I have seen several sites that have site independent ones.

I have seen similar tools. There is an extension for Chrome called something like MindThatWord which does almost the opposite, it replaces random words in pages with words in another language, so that learners can learn them by context, and then it gives you the original word when you hover over it. So it's definitely possible to do it site-independent.

EDIT: Have a look https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... gbom?hl=en
akerbeltz
Rianaire
Language Level: Barail am broinn baraille
Corrections: Please don't analyse my Gaelic

Unread post by akerbeltz »

Ouch that is a terrible idea (MindThatWord I mean) but thanks for pointing us at it. What sites did you see this independent tool on? Would be really helpful if you could remember any.
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by GunChleoc »

The best tool that I am aware of is wordlink: http://multidict.net/wordlink/?sid=353285&url=&sl=gd
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
Teddie

Unread post by Teddie »

Tapaidh Leibh!

That is exactly what i'm looking for! It would be awesome to have a plugin version with an offline dictionary that uses tooltips for ease of use, but that will do very nicely for what I need it for!

Often it is the vocabulary I have trouble with, and this should help immensely.