Cluinnidh Mi Thar Uchd na Mara

An toil leat ceòl, bàrdachd no ealain sam bith eile? Am faca tu rudeigin inntinneach air an TBh? Innse dhuinn air / Do you like music, poetry or any other art form? Did you see anything interesting on the telly? Tell us about it
Mairead
Language Level: Intermediate
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Cluinnidh Mi Thar Uchd na Mara

Unread post by Mairead »

I'm researching some songs on Tobar an Dualchais. There's one called "Cluinnidh Mi Thar Uchd na Mara". You can see the record and hear the song here. I found a transcription and tr*nsl*t**n of the lyrics here, but I've noticed that the version she sings is slightly different than the lyrics provided for Albannach's version. I was wondering if anyone could figure out what words the singer, Margaret MacNeil, uses instead of the ones used by Albannach at these points in the recording:

0:49 - In this line, it sounds like she says something else other than "tìll", something sounding to me like "duar" but I don't know what the word is.
2:33 - It sounds pretty similar, but it sounds like she pronounces the "s" in "Shuain". (Is that down to dialect?) And does she sing "mar" instead of "na"?

Other than switching "òig" and "gaol" in one of the verses, those are the only differences I've been able to detect - though if you hear more, by all means, let me know! I'm looking into sea/fishing songs partly out of my own interest, but also with an eye on doing something with the Scottish Fisheries Museum at some point. (I volunteer there.) Thanks for your help!

*Edit - the link was going to the wrong song, but I've fixed it now!

Tha avatar agam à dhealbh aig mo phiuthar anns an Cellardyke. Tha trì videothan Ghàidhlig agam anns an Youtube.
My avatar is from a photo that my sister took in Cellardyke. I have three Gaelic videos on Youtube.
Níall Beag
Rianaire
Language Level: Fluent (non-native)
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Re: Cluinnidh Mi Thar Uchd na Mara

Unread post by Níall Beag »

I thin what you're is " 's shuain " -- it's not unusual for song to pick up or drop ors, ands and buts over time, and I'm sure I here a short /h/ after the /s/.

"mar"... yes, I hear it too. She also uses a different word afterwards - something like "lìobhainn" or "lìomhainn" to my ear.
Níall Beag
Rianaire
Language Level: Fluent (non-native)
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Níall Beag »

And I think it's "nach d' fhuair gu ..." for the first one. Literally "didn't get to" rather than the Albannach version's "didn't return to"
Mairead
Language Level: Intermediate
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by Mairead »

Good call on nach d' fhuair gu and 's shuain -- I think you're right! I'm not so sure about lìobhainn or lìomhainn -- it does sound like "gh" to me more, though I see where you're coming from. I think liaghain makes a lot of sense in the context of the song, too. Thanks for your help! :)
Tha avatar agam à dhealbh aig mo phiuthar anns an Cellardyke. Tha trì videothan Ghàidhlig agam anns an Youtube.
My avatar is from a photo that my sister took in Cellardyke. I have three Gaelic videos on Youtube.