Guth nan Gàidheal air MixCloud

Càil sam bith eile / Anything else
sr3nitygirl

Guth nan Gàidheal air MixCloud

Unread post by sr3nitygirl »

All of the Guth nan Gàidheal programming produced thus far is now available for streaming-on-demand on MixCloud.

http://mixcloud.com/guthnangaidheal

7 episodes of "An Saoghal Againne" - a magazine show by Michael Mackay (ACGA President).
7 episodes of "Mar a chuala mi I" - a Gaelic stories program by Cape Breton native, Angus MacLeod.
10 episodes (so far) of "Ar Guthan" - a Gaelic music 'gateway' show, presented in English by Cam MacRae.

Our main website is at http://gng.acgamerica.org/

We'll be adding some new episodes of "Ar Guthan" over the next couple of weeks, once they end their syndication run on Cuillin FM (Saturdays at 8pm local).

Guth nan Gàidheal is a volunteer effort headed up by members of An Comunn Gàidhealach Ameireaganach (ACGA), with myself (Steaphanaidh Carlyle) as Executive Producer.
If you'd like to get involved with producing more Gaelic programming with us, please read the 'Rach an sàs/Get Involved" page on our website: http://gng.acgamerica.org/get-involved/

sr3nitygirl

Re: Guth nan Gàidheal air MixCloud

Regarding recent events in my Gaelic life, I posted this publicly on Facebook last week:

===============

Last week, I posted about the end of my online radio ventures, with the final closure of Rèidio A-Màireach.

So, now we come to deciding what to do about Guth nan Gàidheal (GnG), which is the joint project between An Comunn Gàidhealach Ameireaganach (ACGA) and myself.

First, a wee bit of history...

I was elected to the ACGA Board of Directors a couple of years ago, and at that time I was running Hard to Port Radio (HTPR), and I suggested that we should make some Gaelic programming that I could then put out on HTPR as a 3-hour block.

Everything came together pretty quickly and within six months we were up and running, producing three shows of our own and re-running Gaelcast as well.

This was fine until HTPR shut down in July of 2015, and we went over to podcast only (no music) on the GnG.acgamerica.org website. When Rèidio A-Màireach started up in November, started rerunning GnG shows and the plan was to make many more.

Then the whole copyright & royalty rate fiasco started and the station was killed before it really got a chance to make an impression, which is where we find ourselves today.

One bit of good news was that Cuillin FM syndicated 12 episodes of "Ar Guthan le Cam NicRath" - in fact this is still ongoing. They even asked me for more programming, but I didn't have enough to give them...sadly.

I would dearly like to continue to produce these shows, and others, under the flag of GnG, and I have now found an outlet for them in the shape of MixCloud; a UK-based on-demand streaming site which carries many shows, and most importantly, is licensed for music. This means we could keep producing our programs as full radio shows, and people can listen to them at their leisure on MixCloud.

So, here's the deal.

If you are interested in Scottish Gaelic, and are also in any way interested in being involved with the production of radio shows in Gaelic, or even in English (but about Gaelic culture and music), then here is your chance.

I've gone to great lengths to lower the bar to participation. Just ask Cam MacRae, Angus MacLeod, Davine Sutherland and Michael Mackay, who have all worked on GnG stuff with me, and who I hope will add their voices to this post, and they I'll tell you how we've been able to make great programs by leveraging the technology that's available today.

Use the link below to go to the GnG homepage and read the "get involved" material there. Tell your pals in the Gaelic world. I've made this post public so it can be shared.

http://gng.acgamerica.org/get-involved/

Let's do something cool!

Rach an sàs!
(Get involved)

Check out the Guth nan Gàidheal Facebook page, too.

Many people have helped with GnG in many ways, and in addition to those mentioned above, I'd like to thank Derek Murray, William Bennett Cassidy, Joy Dunlop, Janice Chan and Rudy Ramsey for their help last year when it was being set up.

The alternative is that GnG fades into history like the station, and I've lost one Gaelic project already. I really don't want to lose another one.
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Cuir mi ris na Naidheachdan againn e an dòchas gun cuidich sin.
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
sr3nitygirl

GunChleoc wrote:Cuir mi ris na Naidheachdan againn e an dòchas gun cuidich sin.
Ceud mile taing!
Mairead
Language Level: Intermediate

Unread post by Mairead »

I have a question about getting involved - when you talk about "producing your show" on the page, does this mean a recurring show with several episodes, or could it just be a one-time thing?

I ask because I've been funded by the University of St Andrews to do research this summer with the Scottish Fisheries Museum about Scottish fishing music. There is a lot of relevant Gaelic material on the Tobar an Dualchais archive, as well as in the Fisheries Museum library, so while my focus will be on Scots and English song since I am based in the East Neuk of Fife, I am also planning to incorporate Gaelic material into my project. I would hate to see GnG go and would love to help somehow - if you think that my research would be an interesting thing to discuss on your channel, let me know - maybe it would be interesting to do a one-time feature on it or something? My Gaelic isn't good enough to discuss my research extemporaneously in Gaelic, but I could prepare something in Gaelic or discuss it in English. Just an idea, let me know if you are interested. :)
Tha avatar agam à dhealbh aig mo phiuthar anns an Cellardyke. Tha trì videothan Ghàidhlig agam anns an Youtube.
My avatar is from a photo that my sister took in Cellardyke. I have three Gaelic videos on Youtube.
sr3nitygirl

We would welcome participation at pretty much any level, from an interview on one of our existing shows - we have a magazine program called "An Saoghal Againne" - to a self-produced program.

From what you've described, my suggestion would a feature/interview (in English) on An Saoghal Agaiine.

Could you please send an email outlining your project to gng@acgamerica.org and we will go from there?

Mìle taing.
Mairead
Language Level: Intermediate

Unread post by Mairead »

Thanks for your resonse! :) I'm glad you think it's something that could work for your show. My research isn't taking place until this summer, so it might be a better idea to wait until then, once I know better what I'm working with (and have actual research to talk about!).
Tha avatar agam à dhealbh aig mo phiuthar anns an Cellardyke. Tha trì videothan Ghàidhlig agam anns an Youtube.
My avatar is from a photo that my sister took in Cellardyke. I have three Gaelic videos on Youtube.