Cò thusa? / Introduce yourself
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Fàilte dhan fhòram / Welcome to the forum

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Fàilte chridheil ort!

A little hint: The word for "I" is pronounced like English "me" but written "mi" ;)

Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
Laighneach

Unread post by Laighneach »

'Se ball nuadh a th'annam. Tha mi às Èirinn agus tha mi air bhith ag ionnsachadh Gàidhlig na hÈireann air feadh ghrunn bhliadhnachan. Tha ùidh mhòr agam anns an Ghàidhlig cuideachd agus còrdaidh e rium a bhith ga h-ionnsachadh.
GunChleoc
Rianaire

Dia dhuit! Nì Gaeilge mhaith agam...

Tha mi toilichte gu bheil ùidh agad san dà chànan!
Na dealbhan agam
Laighneach

Unread post by Laighneach »

Mòran taing airson na fàilte.
Seumas Deasach
Language Level: Beginner

Unread post by Seumas Deasach »

Halò! S' mise Seumas. Tha mi an deas Stàtean Aonaichte, à staid Alabama.
Tha mi ag ionnsachadh le YouTube (Speaking Our Language) agus leabhraichean.

>hello! My name is James. I am from the south United States, the state of Alabama.
> I am learning from YouTube (Speaking Our Language) and books.

I am a baby learner at the moment, still wrapping my mind around the sounds and spellings. I have been recommended the 'Progressive Gaelic' series by Watson, which I do have, although have been using 'Colloquial Scottish Gaelic' by Spadaro/Graham because the audio files are VERY useful. The 'Learn Gaelic' website/app has proven to be a great resource as well.
Please correct my mistakes! I have already learned new things in the two days I have been using this wonderful forum!

Mar sin leibh an-dràsta!
faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

Fàilte, a Sheumais! :D

Glè mhath! :moladh:

Ceartachadh / Correction:
Tha mi à ceann a deas nan Stàitean Aonaichte. (I am from the south end of the US)

Anything that encourages you and helps you to learn Gaelic is a good thing - and it's wise to know what all is out there. At some point, however, it's most effective to decide on one main system to learn with, and to stick with it. Most learners ultimately need structure and some discipline.

Distance courses are also very helpful. Both the AGA and SMO offer regular courses online at various levels.
http://www.gaelicacademy.ca/
http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/en/
Seumas Deasach
Language Level: Beginner

Unread post by Seumas Deasach »

Thank you and understood!
"We are all connected...to each other, biologically; to the earth, chemically; to the universe, atomically...and that makes me smile." - Neil deGrasse Tyson
GunChleoc
Rianaire

Fàilte chridheil ort!

Don't hesitate asking questions when you're stuck on a particular point. Also, do try out what you have learned, practice is important.
Na dealbhan agam
Kennedyflyting
Language Level: Beginner, some vocabulary knowledge

Unread post by Kennedyflyting »

Just joined. I know a few hundred words but that is about it, very much a beginner. Help on good Internet resources, high-frequency vocabulary, basic grammar would be much appreciated.
GunChleoc
Rianaire

Fàilte ort!

Have a look at the "Goireasan" section on our homepage, and at the "Iomradh is Ceanglaichean / Reference and Links" forum.
Na dealbhan agam
faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

Fàilte bhuamsa cuideachd! :flur:

Tha GunChleoc ceart - tha ceanglaichean gu math feumail an seo fhèin, air an làrach-lìn againn! Briog a h-uile rud.... :lol:
Agus na bi diùd - sgrìobh rudeigin le cuid den cheud facal sin anns an raon dà-chànanach. :moladh:

Welcome from me too.
GCh is right - there are some pretty useful links right here on our website. Click on everything! :lol:
And don't be shy - write something with some of these 100 words in the bilingual section. :moladh:
MamaBear
Language Level: Just beginning

Unread post by MamaBear »

Dia dhuit! Is ainm dom MamaBear. I have only just begun learning Gaelic (and I hope everything is spelled correctly and grammatically correct!) I found this forum in a search of places where I can seek help and support in my mission to master this language. I am hoping for a place to practice my skills and receive feedback/constructive criticism. I'm very much a grammar Nazi, so if I have any grammatical errors, please let me know. My biggest struggle with Gaelic right now is the grammar and sentence structure, as well as knowing which form of a word to use. Most of my posts will likely be in English, but I do hope that changes soon! So far, I have enjoyed attempting to tr*nsl*t* the bi-lingual posts before reading the tr*nsl*t**n. I have come to the conclusion that I am much better at reading Gaelic than I am speaking or writing it! Anyway, I don't know how active this forum is but I do hope to get to know you all and improve my Gaelic skills also. But for now, slan! (I know, missing the accent. Haven't quite figured out how to get that in there yet).

-Edit-
I'm not sure if it's because part of the word t r a n s l a t i o n is offensive, but it seems to be censored. I'm sorry? (In Gaelic, I believe that is ta bron orm?)
GunChleoc
Rianaire

Dia dhuit!

Looks like you are learning Irish Gaelic (Gaeilge), but this forum is for Scottish Gaelic (Gàidhlig). So, we won't be able to help you much.

tr*nsl*t**n is censored to keep Google search from picking it up, because other platforms have been inundated by tr*nsl*t**n requests in the past and we wanted to dodge that bullet ;)
Na dealbhan agam
MamaBear
Language Level: Just beginning

Unread post by MamaBear »

GunChleoc wrote: Dia dhuit!

Looks like you are learning Irish Gaelic (Gaeilge), but this forum is for Scottish Gaelic (Gàidhlig). So, we won't be able to help you much.

tr*nsl*t**n is censored to keep Google search from picking it up, because other platforms have been inundated by tr*nsl*t**n requests in the past and we wanted to dodge that bullet ;)
Ah, I see! Well most my ancestors were from Ireland, so I chose Irish Gaelic because of that. I have noticed many similarities, so hopefully I can stI'll get some help. I'm hoping at least some of the grammar rules are the same, as that's where I struggle the most. Just from reading the bilingual posts, it looks like it mostly is. Even just reading the posts helps, as I can pick up patterns with enough different examples. So, carry on with your Scottish Gaelic, it's still helping! :)
Driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cake hole.
GunChleoc
Rianaire

I recommend that you don't mix the two languages as a beginner - it will only confuse you. You wouldn't try learning French and Spanish at the same time, now would you? Don't let the similarity of the languages' names fool you. :)

Best join http://www.daltai.com/, they will be in a much better position to help you :)
Na dealbhan agam