Dog Commands

Càil sam bith eile / Anything else
GSD4ME
Language Level: beginner
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Dog Commands

Unread post by GSD4ME »

Please may I ask for some help here?
At my advanced age, and having obtained a new dog after my old boy crossed The Rainbow Bridge, I want to fulfil an ambition and train the new dog in Gaelic (can *you* see my wife rolling her eyes from where you sit?). The commands that we have always used are specific in meaning so as not to confuse any of our dogs, for continuity, and proper control. I have found translations for a lot of he commands I want to use, but need some help in finding the correct words for the rest.

For the sake of completeness, I have included some that I have decided upon already.
There is a link on this site to some basic dog commands (which I may use) but the list was very short and couldn't supply me with the commands that I wish to use

I know that usage-wise and grammatical perfection are missing from what I want to use, but remember that the dog doesn't understand grammar that well – it is simply a series of sounds to command him! (Notes are mine on pronunciation etc.)
As with all these, I am open to correction, change or suggestion. It doesn't matter whether the Gaelic phrase is obscure (eg perhaps there is a nice word for the English “elevate”, rather than “jump up”) but I am looking for words/very short phrases to use for some of the following commands. Again, notes are mine as possible options

“Good boy”/general praise – “Gle mhath” (lit. “Very good”)
DRINK! (command) – uisgea (lit. water)
DROP! (lie down)- "Sios!" (SHEE-uss) (“downwards”)
SIT! - "Suidh!" (SOO-ee)

The next three are linked. In dog training terms, “stay” means “stay where you are and I shall come back to you” whereas “wait” means “stay where you are and then I shall call you to come to me” (Can anyone here explain the difference between the two Gaelic commands listed?)
STAY! (remain) - "Fuirich!" (FOO-rich)
WAIT! (remain) - “Fan” (Faan) (“to stay”??)
COME! (here to me)- "Trobhad!" (TRAW-utt)/

The next lot are to do with movement:
CROSS! (road, etc) – tarsainn? Trasta?
DOWN! (get off something – bed, couch etc. We use “drop” (qv) for the dogs to go to ground)
OVER! (as in jump over: fence, log, etc) – thairis ?
UP! (as in jump into Land Rover, on top of something, etc.)- suas (?) too close to sit? Climb = direadh/LEUM (to jump)
AWAY (“walk free” (when off the lead)) – THALLA (“go”/”go away”)/Thugad ? (“out of my way” interjection) (Hoogud)/RACH (To go)/ “A NULL” - movement away from me cf A NALL (movement to me) (cf hither and thither, to and fro, etc)/”DEAN AS” (“han ass” - “be gone!”)

BAD! (to tell the dog off, where cessation is paramount) - droch (?) dona (?)/CHAN EIL (a negative)/NA DEAN SIN (“don't do that”)
BEHAVE! (yourself) – BI MODHAIL (“Bee-moagal”)
BE QUIET! - "Bi samhach!" (bee SAH-vawch)
COME ON (stop wasting time, esp. whilst on lead)/HURRY UP! – Greas ort! (“griss orsht”)/CABHAG (noun - hurry)

DRYING! (when wet, muddy and needs to be dried with a towel) – tioram (this is actually an adjective meaning “dry”)/”TIORMAICH” (“chirrimich” - “dry” command?)

These next ones are ones that I have no idea about or have found nothing near to the meaning that I want to convey. Any suggestions would be most grateful
(take it)EASY/(calm down)/RELAX/SETTLE DOWN – anything to help try to calm the dog down when it is too excited or will not sleep for some reason. -
ENOUGH! (stop annoying me) -
GENTLY! (command, to take something from a hand, eg having the dog take a biscuit from a child) -
GIVE (it to me- eg a toy, something he should not have, etc.) – a' toirt (? lit. “provide”)/THOIR (give)
LEAVE! (alone – hedgehog, lamb, etc) -

Again this is a list of areas that I have found possible commands for, but again need some guidance about
HOLD! Keep in your mouth (training toy etc) – GABH (to take)/CUM (to hold)
SEEK! (look for something -) – lorg (lit. search for)/FAIGH (to get, find)/SEALL (root- “look”)/SEALG (root - “hunt”)
STAND (up from a sitting or lying position) – dh'èireas (lit. “arise”) EIRICH (Imperative “Get up” ie from bed/SEAS (imperative))/SUAS (“up”)
STAND (still (whilst already in the upright position), whilst I dry you/investigate something) - seasaidh
(walk to )HEEL – duin (lit. 'close'). THE heel = sail

Apologies if this is an imposition on people out there, but I thought that this would be an ideal forum to use.

Many thanks
ADB

akerbeltz
Rianaire
Language Level: Barail am broinn baraille
Corrections: Please don't analyse my Gaelic

Dog Commands

Unread post by akerbeltz »

Just briefly, because I'm falling asleep just now, I ran a command over the Faclair Beag and extracted all the ones marked as "dog command", you may find some inspiration there to begin with.

a-staigh 1 in, inside (location) 2 at home 3 in here! (sheepdog command)
thalla dhan làimh chearr! (go) to the left (also sheepdog command)
seas 1 stand! (also sheepdog command) 2 endure! 3 maintain!
cum ort a' coiseachd keep going! (also sheepdog command)
dol dachaigh! home! (dog command)
gabh air Calum 1 deal with Calum, treat Calum! 2 attack Calum, go for Calum! (also as a dog command)
rach dhachaigh! home! (dog command)
sin (iad sin) 1 that, those (medial demonstrative pronoun) 2 there! (sheepdog command)
sin thu! 1 well done, bravo! 2 there! (sheepdog command)
sìos! down! (dog command)
suas 1 up, upwards (motion away from the speaker) 2 upright, standing 3 walk up/on! (sheepdog command)
thig air mo chois! 1 (come to) heel! (dog command) 2 that'll do! (sheepdog command)
thig air mo chùlaibh! 1 (come to) heel! (dog command) 2 that'll do! (sheepdog command)
thalla dhan làimh cheart go to the right! (also sheepdog command)
thalla air ais! 1 go back! 2 get back/out! (sheepdog command) 3 look back! (sheepdog command)
thig a-steach come in! (also sheepdog command)
fan a-mach fodha! come by! (sheepdog command)
laigh a-muigh lie down! (also sheepdog command)
trobhad a-steach fodha! come in by! (sheepdog command to drive a sheep that has broken off back)
trobhad leotha! come with them! (sheepdog command to encourage an inexperienced dog to keep driving)
na coisich air adhart! 1 don't walk forward! 2 there, stay! (sheepdog command)
làimh cheart! (to the) right! (also sheepdog command)
làimh chearr! (to the) left! (also sheepdog command)
air do shocair! 1 take (your) time (also sheepdog command)! 2 cool it, take it easy! 3 keep it down!
cùl mo chois! 1 (come to) heel! (dog command) 2 that'll do! (sheepdog command)
fan a-mach air falbh stay away out! (sheepdog command)
thalla 's bìd iad walk on/up! (sheepdog command to put pressure on stubborn sheep)
spìd iad walk on/up! (sheepdog command to put pressure on stubborn sheep)
gu mo chois! 1 (come to) heel! (dog command) 2 that'll do! (sheepdog command)
laigh sìos lie down! (also sheepdog command)
fan air falbh 1 keep/stay away! 2 away (to me)! (sheepdog command)
thalla a-bhos 1 come over here! 2 come-bye! (sheepdog command)
thalla a-bhos clì come-bye! (sheepdog command)
thalla air d' ais! 1 go back! 2 get back/out! (sheepdog command) 3 look back! (sheepdog command)
gabh gu mo chois! 1 (come to) heel! (dog command) 2 that'll do! (sheepdog command)
trobhad gu mo chois! 1 (come to) heel! (dog command) 2 that'll do! (sheepdog command)
a-staigh an-sin! 1 in there 2 there! (sheepdog command)
coisich suas! 1 walk up! 2 walk up/on! (sheepdog command)

There's a few other things which I think don't work in your list but I'll make more sense tomorrow :)
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Dog Commands

Unread post by GunChleoc »

How about "òl" for "drink"?
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
GSD4ME
Language Level: beginner
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Dog Commands

Unread post by GSD4ME »

Thanks to both respondees - something to work with here.
I must admit that I had completely forgotten about the Faclair Beag dictionary - it is a mine of information
And as for Ol for "drink" - it was on my original list but I preferred the 2-syllable "uisgea"

Again - any thanks for your assistance. The puppy (at 8 weeks) has been inundated with all of 2 commands (uisgea and gle bhath) ad nauseam!
faoileag
Maor

Dog Commands

Unread post by faoileag »

Before you get too carried away :lol: , the word for water is: uisge.
No 'a' at the end.
Pronunciation - see Am Faclair Beag.

And Glè mhath! (Not that the dog will care about spelling... 8-) )
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Dog Commands

Unread post by GunChleoc »

No he won't, but he might care about long è versus short e...
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam