Cùrsa-Inntrigidh

Deasbaid air cùrsaichean chànain amsaa. / Anything about language courses etc.
LilithNoor
Language Level: neach-tòiseachaidh
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Cùrsa-Inntrigidh

Unread post by LilithNoor »

Bidh mi a toiseachadh an Cùrsa Inntrigidh ans an t-Sultain.

Has anyone else done this course or similar long distance ones with Sabhal Mòr Ostaig? Dè ur beachd? What are your thoughts on it?

~Sìle~
Language Level: Intermediate

Cùrsa-Inntrigidh

Unread post by ~Sìle~ »

I have done the first two Earrann of An Cùrsa Inntrigidh on the standard track. It was good, but moved very quickly, with a lot of time to be invested in homework, practice. You have to find your own study buddies, and I found my tutor somewhat unresponsive to any contact outside of the one hour long tutorial, e.g. when asking for contact details of fellow classmates to set up homework sessions. Mostly we read through the discussion, the information, checked everyone did the exercises, and then moved on to the telephone exercises usually with only about 10 minutes left in the class. Some students didn't prepare the telephone phone, which often held up the class. The argument being they wanted to be 'spontaneous' in conversation.

I have since started the course with the Atlantic Gaelic Academy course. Three hour long tutorials, with one break, lots more conversational practice, both prepared, and spontaneous, each lesson is covered more than once so it sinks in, they set you up with a study buddy at the same level as yourself (based on past experience, competency, etc.) but you are encouraged to find others with whom to converse. Tutors are quick to respond to questions outside of tutorial times, the classes are a ball of fun, and thus memorable. They also offer 'immeresion' days where coursework is covered over the course of 8 hours, concentrating on automatically responses when speaking. Much better value in terms of price/content. I am particularly chuffed with my tutor who assists each student to stick to their dialect of choice, and ensuring students pronunciation is on point. My tutor also offers historical perspective on why some grammatical matters are - I find this helps in remembering, too.

I will be returning to the AGA this September, and aim to complete Earrann 3 of An Cùrsa Inntrigidh in March 2017, funds permitting. I like the grammar content of SMO's ACI, and the structure as I got further on this course than any other attempt to learn the language, but I enjoy the confidence the AGA's course gave me in terms of speaking.
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach

Cùrsa-Inntrigidh

Unread post by GunChleoc »

I went straight to the Cùrsa Adhartais after having done a lot of self-study and online posting etc. My tutor was excellent and wasn't scared to deviate a bit from the set material where appropriate, and his time management was also very good. All students in my class were always well prepared. We were a bit mixed, with some students struggling a bit and with others picking stuff up easily. With pair work, we were always teamed up so a stronger student could help a weaker student to keep the conversation going.
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
LilithNoor
Language Level: neach-tòiseachaidh

Cùrsa-Inntrigidh

Unread post by LilithNoor »

Mìle taing folks, that's good to know. It's 11 years since I last dipped my toe into academic waters so I am a little nervous, but also excited. My experience of actually conversing in Gaelic is almost nil, so I'm looking forward to the conversational aspects of the course.
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach

Cùrsa-Inntrigidh

Unread post by GunChleoc »

The conversational aspect was also one of the main reasons for me to do the Cùrsa Adhartais - writing and reading is easy on the internet, talking not so much.
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam