Forum rules
Sgrìobh a h-uile rud gu dà-chànanach / Write everything bilingually
AndreaA
Language Level: still extremely basic but trying hard
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Please - Gàidhlig help wanted for scholarship application talk

Unread post by AndreaA »

Hi everybody or feasgar math,

I am Andrea, living in Germany, and very interested in an exchange year in Scotland. I have applied through my employer for a scholarship and next Monday evening I will hold a talk that will probably decide about my chances to be accepted as a scholar. Since the deciding panel which will listen to my talk consists of Germans and Scots, I would like to start my talk with greeting everybody in their language.

Therefore I would like to ask for your help with Gàidhlig and if possible, Scots, too.
I have just finally decided to learn Gaelic but I have no grammar so far :naire: and I am totally overwhelmed by pronunciation since I just own a book to learn and have no teacher in person.

I have done my best giving it a try, but - please - need your correction/help (especially with pronunciation, too).

I would like to say:

Good evening (at 8 p.m.) and very welcome to my presentation/talk. My name is Andrea and I am very happy that you have all come here/joined me here tonight.

My try in Gaelic:
Feasgar math?/Oidhche mhath? agas mìle? fàilte gu/ann an? ... an-diugh. Is mise Andrea agas ...??? :?:

(Pronunciation: Fesger mah/oohche mah ahgas mila fahltsche g/ann ann .... an-dshu. Ish mishi Andrea ahgas ...???)

With Scots I have no clue at all, since often it seems so close to English but then again different...

A huge, huge thanks - ceud mìle taing -
from Andrea

GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Feasgar math, a chàirdean, agus fàilte don òraid agam. Is mise Andrea agus tha mi glè thoilichte gun dàinig sibh uile ann a-nochd.

You can listen to the pronunciation at https://www.cereproc.com/ - scroll down to "Gaelic" and select "Ceitidh".

I don't speak Scots - you could try http://scots-online.org/.
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
AndreaA
Language Level: still extremely basic but trying hard

Unread post by AndreaA »

Feasgar math, a GunChleoc

Ceud mìle taing :flur: . Tha i breagha an-diugh agus tha mi glè toilichte!

A 100.000 thanks to you. It is a nice day today and I am very happy. (Now I have to follow on in English only, sorry)

Thank you so much for your help, I do apprediate it so much. The Gaelic learning virus has totally taken me over since I started playing with the great pronuniation help from your link. Thanks so much, now it is fun learning with my book and I hope so much to get that scholarship and the chance to continue learning Gaelic in Scotland.

I got help with Scots, too, so I am now ready to win "the jury" over - already with the greeting :D

A thousand thanks again for your help!

Slàn leat air an àm! Health be with you for now!

Andrea
Níall Beag
Rianaire
Language Level: Fluent (non-native)
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Níall Beag »

Are the members of the panel linked to Scots and/or Gaelic professionally? If not, they might not appreciate it.

I probably wouldn't bother, if I was you....
faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

Hi Andrea, fáilte an seo!

There are actually various options open to German learners of Gaelic, including a distance course (via German), offered by the Gaelic centre in Bonn:

http://www.schottisch-gaelisch.de/Fernk ... astar.html

You haven't missed too many sessions of the Beginners' course - I see it started on 20 Sept. Maybe contact them and ask if you can join it now? >That would be helpful for pronunciation and solidarity with your learning!
ithinkitsnice
Language Level: Tha mi, no, um, 's e… ?
Corrections: Please don't analyse my Gaelic

Unread post by ithinkitsnice »

Níall Beag wrote: Are the members of the panel linked to Scots and/or Gaelic professionally? If not, they might not appreciate it.

I probably wouldn't bother, if I was you....
That's a wee bit cynical imo. Even if they don't understand a word of it, I'm sure they would still appreciate it as an opener.

I'd be really surprised if they took a negative view of it anyway.
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach

Unread post by GunChleoc »

I agree - Germans would tend to enjoy it rather than sneer at it. No historical baggage there ;)
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam