My 15 Day Gaelic Challenge: language learning for the chronically impatient

Cò thusa? / Introduce yourself
DerekonMull
Language Level: Zero
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by DerekonMull »

Morning folks,

As this is my first post (hopefully one of very few in English) I’ll start by introducing myself and explaining the title I think.

I teach English as a foreign language via Skype, so I have some flexibility as to where I live throughout the year. It just so happens I’m staying with my family on the Isle of Mull at the moment, which is where and why I concocted this particular foolish plan of mine.

Today is day 1 of a 15 day challenge to teach myself Mull Gaelic from zero, with the goal of being able to hold a conversation with my Gaelic speaking grandfather at the end of that time.

I’m filming the process as part of a vlog/short documentary in what is partly a passion project, and partly a how-to kit for self-study. It’s designed with my students in mind and potentially for a wider Youtube audience, mainly because it gives me the opportunity to demonstrate a range of skills utilised by several self-teaching polyglots, in a format that would be beyond the scope of my classes.

So that’s it really. I just wanted to gauge the level of activity on the forum and see if anyone here is on Skype regularly for some speaking practice.

If you’re interested, or can offer any insights into regional dialects of Gaelic please feel free to give me a shout.

Now, I would sign off with something in Gaelic, but when I said I was beginning from zero I really meant it. Well, here’s my best shot…

Slange!

akerbeltz
Rianaire
Language Level: Barail am broinn baraille
Corrections: Please don't analyse my Gaelic

Unread post by akerbeltz »

Madainn mhath Derek!

Interesting challenge, guma math a thèid leat! (you can look these up in the Faclair Beag. I don't really have time for teaching on Skype but I believe there's a few others around here who do. Specifically Mull, tricky, there's nothing specifically that was ever produced for that corner, not even a dialect description, in spite of the size of the island. What you can do though, if you're not sure if a word is a Mull-ish form or not, to hit the Faclair Beag, search for the word and then click on the blue headword and look at the dialect map. For example, when choosing between ga/da/dha/a-rìreabh the maps (they're sadly not all as good as that but we're working on it), you can tell "your" form is da-rìreabh.

LearnGaelic has sound for most of the entries in their version of the Faclair Beag but that's Mid-Minch, so the pronunciation won't match your grandfather exactly.

You could also hit Tobar an Dualchais and look for recordings from Mull (which will be a huge challenge at this stage I realize, but it will give you something "local" to listen to).

Other than that, you're welcome to ask whatever question on here, usually you'll get an answer pretty quick.
DerekonMull

Thanks/Taing for the suggestions akerbeltz.

I wasn't aware you could specify the region in the Faclair Beag so that will definitely be a big help. I'm off to speak to a former teacher of Mull Gaelic today, so we'll be covering pronunciation and vocabulary quite extensively (just received a high frequency word list from her now).

As for the Skype chats, I can't say I'm looking for teachers per se, informal conversation would be what I'm looking for as it gives me the freedom to focus on specific areas I've been studying. In any case, I think I'm going to get a lot out of the forum.
akerbeltz
Rianaire
Language Level: Barail am broinn baraille
Corrections: Please don't analyse my Gaelic

Unread post by akerbeltz »

'S e do bheatha.

You can't specify the region as such but there's a map for every entry - of course not all of them tell you that much. We haven't had the time yet to develop something that would allow you to specify a region and output all the instances for that region. We're doing this in our "spare time" :?
DerekonMull

Ah, I see. Useful nonetheless.
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Fàilte chridheil ort! :)

Hit the "Goireasan" of our homepage, that has a collection of stuff for beginners on it, so you can mix & match to your needs from there.
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
CJ_
Language Level: Intermediate

Unread post by CJ_ »

Bidh mi fhéin deònach a bhith a' bruidhinn ruibh no duine sam bith. ( I'd be willing to speak with you or anyone...I'm a learner though! ) Skype name: nicaphearsain