Speaking Our Language on Youtube

Goireasan ionnsachaidh, ceanglaichean feumail is mar sin / Gaelic learning resources, useful links etc.
vb99
Language Level: Beginner
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by vb99 »

Does anyone know what has happened to the Speaking Our Language programs on Youtube? All of them seem to have been removed with the Youtube "taken down for copyright violations" notice in place. I think the user account name was Macsteaphain or Leodhasach. These are a great resource for learners. I can't imagine why Youtube objects to them (given how old they are!).
Thank you.
vb99

Here are a couple of paths that no longer work for me (and lead to the youtube notice):
(Program 36) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhyHNKF1Vvw
(Program 37) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1pOH92e87s

GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach

Unread post by GunChleoc »

You can get them on https://learngaelic.scot/sol/

The YouTube version probably fell victim to some automated algorithm.
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
vb99

Unread post by vb99 »

Thank you. The Learngaelic site is very helpful because it includes the Gaelic and English text shown for the video clips that it has. I did enjoy having the entire 25 minute programs available on youtube though! I might have to locate and purchase the DVDs now! :)
Níall Beag
Rianaire
Language Level: Fluent (non-native)
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Níall Beag »

vb99 wrote: Does anyone know what has happened to the Speaking Our Language programs on Youtube? All of them seem to have been removed with the Youtube "taken down for copyright violations" notice in place. I think the user account name was Macsteaphain or Leodhasach. These are a great resource for learners. I can't imagine why Youtube objects to them (given how old they are!).
Given that copyright subsists for 70 years after the death of all the key talent involved (writers, directors etc) they really aren't that old. If YouTube has taken them down, it's because they were requested to do so by someone with an actual claim on the copyright. Speaking Our Language can still be bought on DVD, so the presence of the episodes on YouTube diverts money from Cànan, Comhairle nan Leabhraichean etc. LearnGaelic has licensed the material (possibly as part of their purchase of the STV/Grampian Gaelic TV archive), but whoever uploaded them to YouTube hadn't, hence the takedown.
Níall Beag
Rianaire
Language Level: Fluent (non-native)
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Níall Beag »

I've had a wee ask around and no-one seems to know who put in the copyright claim. However, it's the channel that's been taken down, not the specific videos. Most likely the problem wasn't Speaking Our Language, but something else. What was on the channel other than SOL?

I understand Bannan was, and it has an international distributor (although I've never heard of anyone showing it in another country) -- they could have submitted a copyright complaint.
If there were kids' cartoons, they're all redubs of big international (mostly US) products, and ripe for automatic discovery.
If there were documentaries, many of BBC Alba's documentaries are foreign productions with Gaelic narration, and again perfect targets for copyright protection algorithms to pick up on.
vb99

Unread post by vb99 »

No doubt you are right about the copyright issue. I think recent Bannan episodes were posted - which might have caused the problem. I had been watching Machair and Speaking Our Language - and I think all those episodes were posted. It was a great resource for learners without access to BBC options (iplayer won't play in the US). I have the SOL DVDs - but the files take up a lot of space on an old computer, so it was really nice to have easy access on youtube to any episode.
~Sìle~
Language Level: Intermediate

Unread post by ~Sìle~ »

vb99 wrote:I had been watching Machair and Speaking Our Language - and ... it was really nice to have easy access on youtube to any episode.
All the episodes of "Speaking Our Language" are still on YouTube, but on other accounts. As for Machair, and Bannan, as yet I have not seen any updated links for these programmes, other than folk asking for people to DM them for the links, as they have uploaded them to private accounts.
Mairead
Language Level: Intermediate

Unread post by Mairead »

It could also be because "Speaking Our Language" is available on the BBC iPlayer, and the BBC can be quite picky about letting programmes be available to those who don't pay the TV license fee.
Tha avatar agam à dhealbh aig mo phiuthar anns an Cellardyke. Tha trì videothan Ghàidhlig agam anns an Youtube.
My avatar is from a photo that my sister took in Cellardyke. I have three Gaelic videos on Youtube.