Knowing what you know now

Deasbaid air cùrsaichean chànain amsaa. / Anything about language courses etc.
Larissa
Language Level: beginner
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Knowing what you know now

Unread post by Larissa »

Knowing what you do now what would be your preferred route to learning Gaelic. What worked, what didn't and what would you have done differently.

GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Re: Knowing what you know now

Unread post by GunChleoc »

I'm glad that I concentrated on pronunciation a lot when I first started. Once my tongue was well-trained, that was one less thing for my brain to worry about when forming sentences.

What also worked for me was to look at available resources and then mix & match whatever was working best for me or was the most fun at the time. Fun is important! So is lots of practice.
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
Tha_Mi_Sgìth
Language Level: completed An Cùrsa Adhartais

Unread post by Tha_Mi_Sgìth »

Actual paid courses: Ùlpan, An Cùrsa Inntrigidh (distance learning from SMO), An Cùrsa Adhartais (distance learning from SMO). No amount of free evening classes from well-meaning tutors has helped me more than these paid courses. Unfortunately I don't think Ùlpan is running anymore.

Grammar; the case system (vocative, nominative, dative, genitive). Working out the system of how cases work was one of the keys to unlock the language (especially the genitive); inversion---another essential and distinctive feature of the language; letting go of using the progressive all the time---many learners get stuck on the progressive since it's introduced first.

Listening on BBC Rèidio nan Gàidheal (available online): Beag air Bheag, An Litir Bheag agus Litir do Luchd-Ionnsachaidh

Speaking/Writing: You must produce language in order to learn it. Find a language buddy.
Larissa
Language Level: beginner
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Larissa »

The courses are still running but I just can't afford them at the moment, Something that is definitely on my to do list :)
~Sìle~
Language Level: Intermediate

Unread post by ~Sìle~ »

I think I would have opted for immersion; however it was never available near to me. I am still doing structured courses though, as I am not disciplined enough to learn on my own.