Practice Prepositional Pronouns

Ciamar a chanas mi.... / How do I say...
Níall Beag
Rianaire
Language Level: Fluent (non-native)
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Practice Prepositional Pronouns

Unread post by Níall Beag »

I've uploaded a very simple little app for practising your prepositional pronouns.

I've used the forms as included in the Teach Yourself Gaelic Dictionary* and I've split o and bho into two entries. Select which prepositions you want to practice and click "start" -- it will then present the prepositional pronouns you've selected as tables in a random order. A number of them will be blanked out. You can either try to recall each one then press [??] to reveal, or you can attempt to type into the gaps, then click "check". Anything you have got correct will stop being editable. If you get stuck, click [??] to reveal.
Once all answers have been revealed, a button marked [Next >>] will appear -- clicking this leads to the next question. Once all questions have been asked, you will be brought back to the choice screen.

(*apart from bho/o + iad = bhuapa/uapa, because my copy has an obvious error there.)

If you want to make it easier of difficult, there is also a slider on the choice screen "How many gaps per preposition?" You can set it to "None" if you only want to look at them, or anything up to all of them. I recommend starting with a moderate number to start with, then increasing the gaps to "all" as you get more comfortable with them.

Hope this helps!

GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Re: Practice Prepositional Pronouns

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Glè mhath!

On rud a ghabhadh fhathast leasachadh: Nuair a bhios an Check soirbheachail, tha e fhathast ag ràdh "Fill in the gaps." Bhiodh e math teachdaireachd eile fhaicinn 'na àite gun robh a h-uile rud ceart no gun robh cuid dhiubh fhathast ceàrr.
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
Níall Beag
Rianaire

I've added a second mode.

You can now select between seeing the prepositions as one table per preposition or as a single large table

With one table per preposition, you only see one preposition on screen at a time, laid out as follows:

aig
mi agam sinn againn
thu agad sibh agaibh
etc

but with a single large table you'll get

aig agam agad aige aice ...
air orm ort air ...
bho bhuam bhuat...

etc.
GunChleoc
Rianaire

One more suggestion - can you add borders to the table cells? I find it hard to understand what goes where visually.
Na dealbhan agam
Níall Beag
Rianaire

GunChleoc wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:28 am One more suggestion - can you add borders to the table cells? I find it hard to understand what goes where visually.
Fair point. I was shifting everything from a one page Vue file to an app based on single-file-components, so I'll sort out the style sheets as part of that migration. This is just one type of activity in an app that handles multiple choice questions, gapfills, tr*nsl*t**n, conversations, etc. etc.

I'm trying to simplify my old codebase as I go so that it gets more maintainable.
Níall Beag
Rianaire

GunChleoc wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:28 am One more suggestion - can you add borders to the table cells? I find it hard to understand what goes where visually.
Done (well, technically I added background colours -- the actual borders are still invisible. ;-) ).

But I've moved it to https://lingua.guru/lg-beta/ as there's no point making lots of little pages when I can make one big one.
GunChleoc
Rianaire

The pronouns tables look much better now :)

I found the layout of the "Start" button on the main page confusing, it looks like a table or section header to me, not like a button.

For the hangman, feel free to take some layout inspiration from https://www.foramnagaidhlig.net/stuth/g ... rochadair/ - the click targets for the letters could be bigger and vowels separated from consonants. It would also be easier to play if the alerts were replaced by a message ara.

P.S. My source code for the hangman is at https://github.com/gunchleoc/ginbeag/tr ... crochadair
Na dealbhan agam