Lingua.guru beta test learning resources

Pròiseactan mar Google in Your Language, an Uicipeid, Firefox, Thunderbird, Opera, LibreOffice/OpenOffice, phpBB, Scrabble is dearbhadairean / Projects like Google in Your Language, Wikipedia, Firefox, Thunderbird, Opera, LibreOffice/OpenOffice, phpBB, Scrabble and spell checkers
Níall Beag
Rianaire
Language Level: Fluent (non-native)
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Lingua.guru beta test learning resources

Unread post by Níall Beag »

Hi all,

I'm in the process of building a language app called Lingua.guru. Progress has been slow, so in order to try to push myself further, and to make some kind of use of what I've done so far, I thought I'd start uploading a few mini-tools for free public use.

I've uploaded my first mini-tool -- a page for practising prepositional pronouns -- instructions in this forum thread.

vb99
Language Level: Beginner
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Re: Lingua.guru beta test learning resources

Unread post by vb99 »

Well -- that was fun!
I did the whole table - in one go - not one preposition at a time - and it really showed up my knowledge gaps.
Also I left the slider positioned in the middle.
Looks like everything works, except I got this error message for e+aig.
I entered aige - but it was noted wrong. So I used the ?? button - and that is what returned the error message.

{ "type": "Gap", "subtype": "Freetext", "content": "aige", "response": "aige", "revealed": true, "skipped": true, "complete": true }

Now I'll click next and see what happens.
Níall Beag
Rianaire

vb99 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:03 pmLooks like everything works, except I got this error message for e+aig.
I entered aige - but it was noted wrong. So I used the ?? button - and that is what returned the error message.

{ "type": "Gap", "subtype": "Freetext", "content": "aige", "response": "aige", "revealed": true, "skipped": true, "complete": true }
That's very odd. I can't replicate the error -- some fiddly wee bug somewhere -- so I'll keep an eye out for anything similar happening later.

Hope you find it useful in dealing with those gaps you've found anyway!
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Thanks for doing these!

Let me know when you're ready for an announcement on our news page.

BTW there are more learning games among the browser games listed on this site: https://www.foramnagaidhlig.net/index.php?page=147
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
Níall Beag
Rianaire

Right, wee update -- hoping to get something new up at least once a week.

Rather than having separate pages for everything, from now just go to https://lingua.guru/lg-beta.

Now the "Start" button has been changed for "Start Prepositional Pronoun Questions" and a second button "Start Memory Game (weather)" has been added. It's a classic turn-over-the-cards, matching-pairs memory game, but as is common in language classrooms, you're matching a picture with a spoken word, not another picture.

I'm planning to add in a counter that tallies up the number of turns you take, and there might even be a multiplayer version coming along in the not-too distant future.

The tables for the prepositional pronouns are now marked out with coloured boxes to make it easier to read down columns and along rows.
Níall Beag
Rianaire

Further minor update -- added a second memory game with colours and household vocabulary.
I'll probably get some additional vocabulary in there for next week (including animals, most likely).
Níall Beag
Rianaire

I've added the animal memory game mentioned last week, and also some practice questions on telling the time.
There's a bug in the time questions, so you only hear the question read out the first time. I'll try and fix this for next week.
vb99

Unread post by vb99 »

Hi -
These are fun and good practice! I'm wondering if there could be a "check all" button on the prepositions page to choose all the prepositions at once. I realize that's just lazy on my part, but I thought I would ask since that's what I've been doing - the whole table all at once for practice.
Tapadh leat!
Níall Beag
Rianaire

vb99 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 1:46 am Hi -
These are fun and good practice! I'm wondering if there could be a "check all" button on the prepositions page to choose all the prepositions at once. I realize that's just lazy on my part, but I thought I would ask since that's what I've been doing - the whole table all at once for practice.
Tapadh leat!
Thanks for the suggestion -- it's done now.

When I first made it I intended to do that, but didn't know immediately how to do it and just wanted to get it all online. As soon as you said it I knew I'd be able to find the answer in a single Google search so I fixed it straight away. Now there's a select all and a deselect all button. I'll change it soon so that all the different types of questions get mixed in together rather than being distinct sections.
vb99

Unread post by vb99 »

Mòran taing! I tried it and it's great!
Níall Beag
Rianaire

Updates:

1) You now select all the types of question you want, and they will be mixed up and presented in a random order
2) Whenever you see the "next >" button, you can now just press the enter key to continue.
3) I've added in a very sketchy little hangman. Currently only using the words from the animal cards. (This is a modified form of a little exercise I set myself to learn Vue.js. It needs major revision.) You can either press the on-screen buttons, or just press a letter key on your keyboard.

I'm going to work on more user-friendly feedback next, cos I know the little pop-up windows it's currently using are kind of irritating, and they also delay other feedback (images, text, sound).