imagine my reaction

Ciamar a chanas mi.... / How do I say...
semaphore
Language Level: Fluent
Corrections: Please don't analyse my Gaelic

imagine my reaction

Unread post by semaphore »

I've been having difficulty talking about "reactions" or volatile "reactionary" things. I'm even struggling to find a word that comes close to what I'm thinking in terms of usage. Can anyone give some examples of how you'd express the following that I might get my head around it:

reaction video
gague my reaction
he's too reactionary
My gut reaction
appropriate reaction

To address what is out there, 'frith-ghluasad' to me reads like a reflex, i.e. a physical recoil in reaction to stimulus and feels unnatural for the purposes above. There's also this notion of 'leugh' and 'freagairt' which again feels... kind of weak. There's also 'a bad physical reaction' to something which I feel comforable covering with 'buail' or 'fulang'.

Follow the white rabbit.
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Re: imagine my reaction

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Yes, it's a difficult word to tr*nsl*t*. For social media reaction buttons, we use "freagairt" because there's nothing better.

For "he's too reactionary", that's a political term with a somewhat different meaning, so ais-cheum(n)ach would be more appropriate here.
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
semaphore
Language Level: Fluent
Corrections: Please don't analyse my Gaelic

Re: imagine my reaction

Unread post by semaphore »

Since we've established the context I suppose 'buaidh' could get you a lot of the way there. Partly playing around here but without a better word I feel inclined to make one up anyway, whether it's received the stamp of approval from Gaelic high command or not, that is how language is afterall. Bit of a sorry state of affairs anyway what with a lot of speakers not using the actual Gaelic for words that have pretty nice Gaelic. A few spring to mind. Anyway

I saw his reaction - chunna mi a' bhuaidh a dh'fhàg e air
reaction video - video nochdmhor? sealladh nochdmhor ... how about "video aire-sheallach" since, it's all for attention anyway :D
gague my reaction - buaidh
he's too reactionary - ro ghrad-ghnìomhach
My gut reaction - caraich na tha còir leam (or a million other versions)
appropriate reaction - freagairt/dòigh-fhreagairt bu chòir
reactionary - frithilleach - dualtachd a bhith gun smuain mus dèanar gnìomh
Follow the white rabbit.