Where to begin...

Sgrìobh 'sa Ghàidhlig is Beurla / Write in Gaelic and English
Forum rules
Sgrìobh a h-uile rud gu dà-chànanach / Write everything bilingually
GaeilgeAbú

Where to begin...

Unread post by GaeilgeAbú »

...well, where to start. I'm a student of Irish Gaelic (Gaelige na h-Éireann) and pretty much all of my exposure to Gaidhlig has been through song, notably Julie Fowlis and to a lesser extent, the Rankin Family. Listening to Julie's music, though, I see a lot of cognates that I recognize from Irish, for instance from Julie Fowlis song "Oganaich Uir a Rinn M'Fhagail" I recognize a cognate with the Gaelige, "Ogánách" (apologize in advance for the lack of fadas, I'm not sure how to type fadas in Gaidhlig). Ideally, once I get proficient enough with Gaelige I'd like to think that it will make learning Scottish Gaelic easier.

Anywho, I mostly hang out on the Irish boards at daltai(dot)com, but I may poke my head in from time to time here, especially since I'm starting to sing with a band and trying my hand at actually singing some songs in Irish, and I thought while I'm at it I might tackle a song or two of Julie Fowlis' records, and will probably need some help as I'm pretty ignorant as yet about Gaelic.

Sláinte!
Ryan

GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Halò agus fàilte ort! :D

Just type Irish fadas (better the wrong way around than none), or follow the instructions in this thread

As a singer you will probably be interested in pronunciation first. You will find everything you need at www.akerbeltz.com and www.bbc.co.uk/alba
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
Gaeilgeoir2008
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Gaeilgeoir2008 »

Hi Gaeilge Abú

Conas atá tú a chara? :D

I agree with you totally. There's a huge similarity between both languages, similar to the relationship between Dutch and Afrikaans.

As you probably know already, Seachtain na Gaeilge releases a CD every year with a load of songs(in Irish) from contemporary music bands such as BellX1, The Coronas, Delorentos, Luan Parle, Gemma Hayes and the list goes on..

Check out the link below:

http://www.bebo.com/Playlist.jsp?PlaylistId=6031955263

or Raidió Rí-Rá www.raidiox.com

Mise le meas,

Gaeilgeoir