Land tenure and Deeside gaelic

Na tha a' tachairt ann an saoghal na Gàidhlig agus na pàipearan-naidheachd / What's happening in the Gaelic world and the newspapers
Gràisg
Rianaire
Language Level: Caran robach sna laithean seo

Land tenure and Deeside gaelic

Unread post by Gràisg »

Bhon làrach aig Andy Wightman
Pictured above is Rob Bain of Ardoch, Deeside, Aberdeenshire who died in July, 2010. Rob was the son of Jean Bain, the last native speaker of Deeside Gaelic who died in 1984. In an interview with Sheena Blackhall, Rob said, of his mother’s Gaelic,

"Feasgar math..I canna mynd a lot o’t. I niver pickit up a lot o’t, like… Funny thing wis, the last puckle years fin she wis dottlit, she widna spik onything bit Gaelic. She wis five year auld afore she could spik English, an she wis born in London. Her folk wis doon there wirkin wi toffs…they war frae Mar Lodge. She wis born til’t. She could write it an spikk it an aathing. Bit I canna..(…) Ciamar a tha sibh..fit wye wid ye spell that noo! There’s a lot o’t back tae front, tee. Ardach, here, that’s high place. Delnabo’s the haugh o the cow. Fin ma mither wis doon at Abyne in the last two year o her life, there wis a nurse there that spoke it. That’s the only wye they could makk heid nor tail o her, Campbell, the banker’s wife, she come frae the islands like."

tuilleadh an seo: http://www.andywightman.com/wordpress/?p=763
dughlas
Language Level: nas fhearr na bha i
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Re: Land tenure and Deeside gaelic

Unread post by dughlas »

Tha tuilleadh fìosrachaidh air a' chuspair 'Gàidhlig den Siorrachd Obar Dheadhain' ri fhaotainn mar a leanas:
1) Mar ro-ràdh, Litir do Luchd-ionnsachaidh #501 le Ruairidh MacIlleathain (air Larach- Lìn a' BhBC)
2) Aberdeenshire Gaelic le A Watson is R D Clement (Gnothachasan den Comann Gàidhlig dh' Inbhir Nis, iom-leabhar LII)
Bha seo air an ath-chlò-bhualadh mar leabhran le 'Mainprint' Inbhir Nis, ann an 1983.
3) A Story Told in Aberdeenshire Gaelic, le Seumas Grannd ann an Caindel Alban a chaidh fhoillseachadh le Oilthigh Obar Dheathain mar iris ceithir air fhichead (XXIV) de Scottish Gaelic Studies ann an 2008.
4) Inscriptions of Pictland le F C Diack, earran IV - 'Collections'. Air a' clò-bhualadh (1944) ann an Obar Dheadhain airson 'The Third Spalding Club'. Tha seo air a bhith a-mach a' chlò fad iomadach bliadhna, ach bu chòir dha ri-fhaodainn ann an leabhar-lann ionadail.

More information on the subject of 'Aberdeenshire Gaelic' can be found as follows:
1) As an introduction, Litir do Luchd-ionnsachaidh #501 by Roddy MacLean (on BBC web-site)
2) Aberdeenshire Gaelic by A Watson and R D Clement (Transactions of the Gaelic Society of Inverness, vol LII)
This was re-printed as a booklet by Mainprint, Inverness in 1983.
3) A Story Told in Aberdeenshire Gaelic, by Seumas Grannd in Caindel Alban, published by University of Aberdeen as edition twenty four (XXIV) of Scottish Gaelic Studies in 2008.
4) Inscriptions of Pictland by F C Diack, Ch. IV - 'Collections'. Printed in 1944 in Aberdeen for the Third Spalding Society. This has been out of print for many years but ought to be available at a local library
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Re: Land tenure and Deeside gaelic

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Tapadh leibh! Is truagh nach d' fhuair iad dìon idir.
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam